Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by op...@yahoo.com on 2004/09/09 02:47:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Multiple Virtual Hosts Problem

Hi all, i'm having trouble getting multiple virtual
hosts to recognize subdirectories of my web server
root directory. i go over my phpini, hosts and
httpd.conf file additions/edits and then i discuss the
unexpected results that i'm getting. tia for any
suggestions to get back to the land of the expected.

PHP.INI FILE

doc_root = "c:\web"
extension_dir = "c:\php\extensions"
extension=php_pgsql.dll
extension=php_dbg.dll-4.3.6

HOSTS

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 site1.com

HTTPD.CONF

ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot "C:/web"
<Directory "C:/web">
DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm index.html
SetEnv PHPRC "c:/php"
ScriptAlias /php/ "c:/php/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm
AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
Action application/x-httpd-php "/php/php.exe"
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
DocumentRoot "C:/web"
ServerName site1.com
</VirtualHost>

when i type in localhost or site1.com into my browser,
i'm taken to the index.php file in c:\php as one
wouold expect. however, when i update my virtualhost
directive to...

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
DocumentRoot "C:/web/site1"
ServerName site1.com
</VirtualHost>

then i get taken right back to C:/web instead of
C:/web/site1 when i type in site1.com. i can't get
apache to recognize lower level folders using the
virtualhost directive.

any help would be appreciated...

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple Virtual Hosts Problem

Posted by op...@yahoo.com.
no, it is my winxp development box...

Posted by "asiani@wanadoo.fr" <as...@wanadoo.fr>.

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Multiple Virtual Hosts Problem

Posted by Eugene <ht...@infosatgeomatica.com>.
Hello operationsengineer1. I dont know how can affect mcafee the
Apache behaviour but I'm sure that any inproperly configured firewall
can work in unpredictable way for server. I never confugured PHP as CGI because of
security reasons, but I will give you my config from development box
on Win 2003. I can assure you that on two servers on Windows and on
my home computer all works fine.

httpd.conf:
==============================
ServerAdmin webmaster@host.com
ServerName host.com:80
UseCanonicalName Off
DocumentRoot "F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs"
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>
<Directory "F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AddHandler type-map var
    AddHandler server-parsed .html
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.asp index.aspx index.html.var index.php index.php3 index.jsp index.jspx
</Directory>

LoadFile "F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/bin/php5ts.dll"
LoadModule php5_module modules/php5apache2.dll
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .phtml
PHPIniDir "F:/webexec/apache_home/php501"

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@host.com
    DocumentRoot F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs/
    ServerName host.com
    ServerAlias *.host.com
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/cgi-bin/"
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@site.com
    DocumentRoot F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs/clients/site.com/public_html/
    ServerName site.com
    ServerAlias *.site.com
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs/clients/site.com/cgi-bin/
    ErrorLog F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs/clients/site.com/logs/site_com_error.log
    CustomLog F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs/clients/site.com/logs/site_com_access.log common
</VirtualHost>
==============================

hosts:
==============================
127.0.0.1       localhost host.com
127.0.0.2       site.com
==============================

php.ini:
==============================
doc_root = "F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs"
user_dir = "F:/webexec/apache_home/apache2/htdocs"
==============================

Thats all the configuration that you need. If something didnt work -
you should look in logs or in service messages. Set inbound TCP access on
port 80 for your firewall and disable any autoconfiguration for
firewall - you should set all manually.

> could this be a port issue?  i use my laptop for work
> and they have mcafee installed and it doesn't easily
> shut down (i tried to shut it down and didn't succeed,
> but may have to try harder).

> can i use a different port beside 80 to avoid
> potential conflicts?  do i have to update my hosts
> file to send the signal on a port besides 80?

> i tried updating my httpd.conf to 8080 and i still got
> taken to c:\web instead of c:\web\site1.

> could this be an alias issue?  i'm shooting in the
> dark b/c i've spent 3 days searching for a solution
> and none have worked to date.

> --- operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:

>> in both cases, i am still taken back to my web
>> server's root directory - C:/web - instead of the
>> intended directory - C:/web/site1.
>>

>> --- Eugene <ht...@infosatgeomatica.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello operationsengineer1, try to configure Name
>> > Based virtual host:
>> >  <VirtualHost *:80>
>> >  DocumentRoot "C:/web/site1"
>> >  ServerName site1.com
>> >  </VirtualHost>
>> >
>> > Or you can try to change IP binding(your vhosts
>> (or
>> > hosts on Windows) file):
>> >  127.0.0.1 localhost
>> >  127.0.0.2 site1.com
>> >
>> > then configure Vhost:
>> >  <VirtualHost 127.0.0.2>
>> >  DocumentRoot "C:/web/site1"
>> >  ServerName site1.com
>> >  </VirtualHost>
>> >

>> > Wednesday, September 8, 2004, 9:47:03 PM, you

>> > virtual
>> server
>> discuss
>> > the
>> > expected.

>> > browser,
>> > virtualhost

>> get
>> the

>> > providers!

>> > users-help@httpd.apache.org
>> >

>> > --
>> > Best regards,
>> >  Eugene
>> > mailto:httpd.subscribe@infosatgeomatica.com

>> >    "   from the digest:
>> > For additional commands, e-mail:
>> > users-help@httpd.apache.org

>> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
>> protection around
>> http://mail.yahoo.com

>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> users-help@httpd.apache.org

Best regards,
 Eugene                            mailto:httpd.subscribe@infosatgeomatica.com

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple Virtual Hosts Problem [SOLUTION]

Posted by op...@yahoo.com.
i found the solution in one of the comments listed
here...  Chapter 22. Installed as CGI binary.
i didn't do the "Action php-script /cgi-bin/php" part
b/c php was already running fine for my virtual hosts.
 3 days later - WHEW!!!!!!

http://us2.php.net/security.cgi-bin

PHP CGI with VirtualHosts.

This is what I found out while trying to get php to
work as CGI with Apache VirtualHosts.

By enabling 'force-cgiredirects', you *must*:
1) set 'cgi.fix_pathinfo=1' in php.ini
2) leave doc_root commented out (php.ini also)

If you miss item 1, the apache logs will show
'unexpected T_STRING' in the php binary.
If you miss item 2, you'll only see 'No input file
specified.', instead of the expected output.

You can then turn on the php support for a particular
vhost by defining:

Action php-script /cgi-bin/php

inside the corresponding <VirtualHost> directive.

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple Virtual Hosts Problem

Posted by op...@yahoo.com.
i disabled CGI PHP 4.3.8 from apache and now apache
responds and sends me to the correct folder -
c:\web\site1.

what in the php.ini file could impact how apache
handles virtual hosts?  somone had a similar problem
and mentioned the solution was "aliases" without
further explanation.

tia...

--- operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:

> could this be a port issue?  i use my laptop for
> work
> and they have mcafee installed and it doesn't easily
> shut down (i tried to shut it down and didn't
> succeed,
> but may have to try harder).
>
> can i use a different port beside 80 to avoid
> potential conflicts?  do i have to update my hosts
> file to send the signal on a port besides 80?
>
> i tried updating my httpd.conf to 8080 and i still
> got
> taken to c:\web instead of c:\web\site1.
>
> could this be an alias issue?  i'm shooting in the
> dark b/c i've spent 3 days searching for a solution
> and none have worked to date.
>

> --- operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > in both cases, i am still taken back to my web
> > server's root directory - C:/web - instead of the
> > intended directory - C:/web/site1.
> >

> > --- Eugene <ht...@infosatgeomatica.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello operationsengineer1, try to configure Name
> > > Based virtual host:
> > >  <VirtualHost *:80>
> > >  DocumentRoot "C:/web/site1"
> > >  ServerName site1.com
> > >  </VirtualHost>
> > >
> > > Or you can try to change IP binding(your vhosts
> > (or
> > > hosts on Windows) file):
> > >  127.0.0.1 localhost
> > >  127.0.0.2 site1.com
> > >
> > > then configure Vhost:
> > >  <VirtualHost 127.0.0.2>
> > >  DocumentRoot "C:/web/site1"
> > >  ServerName site1.com
> > >  </VirtualHost>
> > >

> > > Wednesday, September 8, 2004, 9:47:03 PM, you

> > > virtual
> > server
> > discuss
> > > the