Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2004/07/25 20:41:18 UTC

[math] Ready for 1.0 RC?

I have finished with the coding / docs tasks that I thought needed to get
done before 1.0. There are no open BZ tickets and the reports (checkstyle,
javadoc, clover) are looking OK.  I regenerated and published the site
based on the current build this AM. Other than the changes required to get
the right names associated and cut the release, is there anything else
that needs to be fixed / completed prior to 1.0?

I am tempted to make one more API change; but am ambivalent about it:
Currently the API for (non-paired) TTests uses a boolean flag to indicate
whether or not the test is being performed under the hypothesis of equal
subpopulation variances (homoscedastic test). Recently, [lang] added a
development guideline to avoid boolean flags in APIs.  I thought about
splitting the homoscedastic tests out (as I did the paired tests); but
decided not to (partly because of the long name and proliferation of
methods).  Does anyone feel strongly that this should be changed?

Phil

Re: [math] Ready for 1.0 RC?

Posted by md...@latte.harvard.edu.
Quoting Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>:

> I have finished with the coding / docs tasks that I thought needed to get
> done before 1.0. There are no open BZ tickets and the reports (checkstyle,
> javadoc, clover) are looking OK.  I regenerated and published the site
> based on the current build this AM. Other than the changes required to get
> the right names associated and cut the release, is there anything else
> that needs to be fixed / completed prior to 1.0?

I'm out of town this week, but feel free to release without me if you feel up
to it.

> I am tempted to make one more API change; but am ambivalent about it:
> Currently the API for (non-paired) TTests uses a boolean flag to indicate
> whether or not the test is being performed under the hypothesis of equal
> subpopulation variances (homoscedastic test). Recently, [lang] added a
> development guideline to avoid boolean flags in APIs.  I thought about
> splitting the homoscedastic tests out (as I did the paired tests); but
> decided not to (partly because of the long name and proliferation of
> methods).  Does anyone feel strongly that this should be changed?

Why avoid returning boolean flags? They are as much part of the Java API as
anything else? I whish I had my usuall mail application, I'd search and review
the discussion. Can you post briefly why [lang] decided this? I'm not
convinced yet that its a necessity, the API can be changed in future versions.

-Mark

Re: [math] Ready for 1.0 RC?

Posted by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> wrote:
> I have finished with the coding / docs tasks that I thought needed to get
> done before 1.0. There are no open BZ tickets and the reports (checkstyle,
> javadoc, clover) are looking OK.  I regenerated and published the site
> based on the current build this AM. Other than the changes required to get
> the right names associated and cut the release, is there anything else
> that needs to be fixed / completed prior to 1.0?
>
> I am tempted to make one more API change; but am ambivalent about it:
> Currently the API for (non-paired) TTests uses a boolean flag to indicate
> whether or not the test is being performed under the hypothesis of equal
> subpopulation variances (homoscedastic test). Recently, [lang] added a
> development guideline to avoid boolean flags in APIs.  I thought about
> splitting the homoscedastic tests out (as I did the paired tests); but
> decided not to (partly because of the long name and proliferation of
> methods).  Does anyone feel strongly that this should be changed?

If the change is pretty easy to make, I'd say write the tests and make the
change now, rather than after the release.  We know 1.0 isn't perfect, but I
think it's worth making this change, especially as it will make non-paired
TTest usage consistent with paired TTests.

Al