Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Lucien GENTIS <lu...@lorraine.iufm.fr> on 2007/08/04 15:48:48 UTC

translation problem

Hi to all,

I am translating manual/caching.xml (branche 2.2) for the french
translation project and I encounter a problem translating "But then this
is the point of caching content in the first place" (line 110) because I
don't really understand the meaning of the phrase, regarding its context.

Any help would be appreciated

Happy week-end to all

Lucien

Re: translation problem

Posted by Lucien GENTIS <lu...@lorraine.iufm.fr>.
Sander Temme a écrit :

> On Aug 4, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Lucien GENTIS wrote:
>
>> I am translating manual/caching.xml (branche 2.2) for the french
>> translation project and I encounter a problem translating "But then
>> this is the point of caching content in the first place" (line 110)
>> because I don't really understand the meaning of the phrase,
>> regarding its context.
>
> The lines above that statement discuss how a cached resource is served
> based on a URL comparison.  No other processing stages take place,
> like (as the page mentions) URL manipulation by mod_proxy or
> mod_rewrite, or authorization, dynamic content generation (PHP, CGI,
> JSP) etc.
>
> The point (see <http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/point>, mostly 1 and 3)
> of caching a resource is to do the expensive stuff (fetching from a
> back-end proxy, regular expression based rewrites, running a scripting
> language to generate a page based on database information) once, put
> the result in the cache and serve it from the cache on subsequent
> requests.
>
> Thanks for helping out with the translation.
>
> S.
>
> --Sander Temme
> sctemme@apache.org
> PGP FP: 51B4 8727 466A 0BC3 69F4  B7B8 B2BE BC40 1529 24AF

Thanks for help and dictionary link

Lucien

Re: translation problem

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.