Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Sanjay Dasgupta <sa...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/09 07:57:39 UTC

Should we remove "Download Data as CSV/TSV" button from version 0.8.0?

Dear all,

Everyone who has used the new 0.8.0 version would have noticed that there
are now two different ways of downloading data displayed in zeppelin (e.g
from an SQL statement or z.show(...)). In addition to the old download
button seen in [1], the data display grid itself also has a menu for
data-download at the top right corner [2].

It has been suggested (see ZEPPELIN-3511 at [3]) that the old download
button [1] can now be removed as the new facility [2] seems to have some
advantages over the old button.

So a PR to remove the old button [1] was submitted, and a discussion
involving many community members then ensued. As a result of the opinions
voiced in that discussion (see [4]) it was felt that the discussion should
be brought out into the community at large - to sense opinions of a larger
user/developer base. Hence this mail.

Please read the pros and cons of the two approaches (removing the old
button vs retaining it with modified functionality) described in the JIRA
[3] and the PR [4], and say how you think this should proceed. Should the
old button [1] be removed, or should it be retained (with a possibly
different implementation)?

Thank you,
Sanjay

[1] The old data-download button:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/477015/41198653-71eb5646-6ca0-11e8-9e05-988d6b9a58e5.png
[2] The new data-download menu:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/477015/41198662-c527c7ea-6ca0-11e8-9a29-e17b92392d5c.png
[3] JIRA requesting removal of old button:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-3511
[4] PR to remove the old button:
https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/3013

Re: Should we remove "Download Data as CSV/TSV" button from version 0.8.0?

Posted by Sanjay Dasgupta <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for removing the old button entirely. I believe retaining the old button
by patching it into ui-grid's downloaders may create recurring maintenance
issues.

Posted by Jongyoul Lee <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Belousov Maksim Eduardovich <m....@tinkoff.ru.INVALID>.
+1 for remove.