Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by peeyush gulati <pe...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/02 20:10:59 UTC

Fwd: Network Distance

Any update !!!!!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: peeyush gulati <pe...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM
Subject: Network Distance
To: shindig-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: peeyush gulati <pe...@gmail.com>

Hi All

I was concerened about Network Distance feature of open social specification
0.8

What i understand of network distance is the distance between 2 people in a
social networking.

Lets say a case is there

(A)--->(B)                                 " ---> INDICATES FRIEND '
(A)--->(C)

 (C)--->(D)
 (C)--->(E)

(D)--->(E)

the same has been shown in the diagram attached here.

Now  according to my understanding Network Distance  between A & E = 2 and
also 3 when we take person D into the path.

So do we give a priority to the lesser one.  Or would this person D come up
in both the cases when finding people with network distance 2 or 3.

*I believe Network distance is still not supported and updated into shindig.
Are we going to do the same in shindig release 1.0 or can we do it before.
Also please specify what algorithm we would follow in cases like above.
Implementing a algorith is not a big deal but i am skeptical about gadgets
whiich would fetch people with network distance 4,5 and above, keeping the
complexity of computation in place.*

Please do correct if my understanding is wrong at any place.

Thanks and Regards
Peeyush

--
Thanks and Regards
Peeyush Gulati

--
Thanks and Regards
Peeyush Gulati

Re: Network Distance

Posted by peeyush gulati <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Promt me if i am wrong ........

Firstly, What i take it as from spec that NETWORK DISTANCE=2 would exclude
people with  NETWORK_DISTANCE <2 in the result set.

The way i take it as :

1)  "any path" --- No, as i am assuming that NETWORK DISTANCE=2 would
exclude people with  NETWORK_DISTANCE <2.

2) I take it as if  am trying to find people with network distance 2 i.e.
fof  I would take all people who have "shortest path=2" in the graph from
the origin.

3)  Finally if i try and find people with NETWORK_DISTANCE=3 i would exclude
"all people that have shortest distance from the origin to the entity less
than 3" as they would some how fall in result set for NETWORK_DISTANCE=1 or
NETWORK_DISTANCE=2.

As a whole i am following orkut's pattern of defining the a friends distance
from the origin which gives out the shortest path to the entity.

Cheers
Peeyush

--
Thanks and Regards
Peeyush Gulati

Re: Network Distance

Posted by Louis Ryan <lr...@google.com>.
[...]

table with a related_to, related_from columns of userids. Then to generate a

Re: Network Distance

Posted by Ropu <ro...@gmail.com>.

--
.-. --- .--. ..-