Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Prateek Asthana <hk...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/05 07:17:41 UTC

MyApp servlet not deploying

Hi,
I was trying to run the "myapp" servlet example. The examples provided
in the webapps directory seem to run fine but when i try the "myapp"
example by deploying. compiling and so on as illustrated, I run into
the following error:

type Status report
message /myapp/
description The requested resource (/myapp/) is not available.

I checked up the logs and have no trace of any error. The web.xml is as follows:

    <display-name>Hello, World Application</display-name>
    <description>
	This is a simple web application with a source code organization
	based on the recommendations of the Application Developer's Guide.
    </description>

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>mypackage.Hello</servlet-class>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/myapp</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

I tried deploying using the front end and also by copying into
"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps" but to no avail. When I log into the manager
module, I lists this servlet but when i try viewing it as
http://localhost:8080/myapp/   it gives me the above error.  Please
help me get my first servlet started with tomcat. By the way I am
using Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Prateek

Re: MyApp servlet not deploying

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Prateek Asthana wrote:

> I was trying to run the "myapp" servlet example. The examples provided
> in the webapps directory seem to run fine but when i try the "myapp"
> example by deploying. compiling and so on as illustrated, I run into
> the following error:
>
> type Status report
> message /myapp/
> description The requested resource (/myapp/) is not available.
>
> I checked up the logs and have no trace of any error. The web.xml is as
> follows:
[...]
>     <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/myapp</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>

> I tried deploying using the front end and also by copying into
> "$CATALINA_HOME/webapps" but to no avail. When I log into the manager
> module, I lists this servlet but when i try viewing it as
> http://localhost:8080/myapp/   it gives me the above error.  Please
> help me get my first servlet started with tomcat. By the way I am
> using Windows 2000.

You propably created a WebApp named "myapp", i. e. created a folder
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/myapp
which you can access via
http://localhost:8080/myapp/
The <url-pattern> you have configured is relative to this WebApp root. To
access your servlet, try
http://localhost:8080/myapp/myapp

The reason why you get an error message when you access
http://localhost:8080/myapp/
is that you don't have a welcome page (by default index.jsp, index.html etc.)
in yout WebApp.

Regards
  mks