Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com> on 2007/04/02 16:11:48 UTC

Re: Tomcat 5.5: Jre or Jdk?

Hi,

AFAIK, Tomcat 5.5 uses the Eclipse compiler, so it does not require a
JDK to compile JSPs anymore.

However, a JRE comes with only a "client" virtual machine. If you want
to run your Tomcat with a "server" virtual machine, you will need a full
JDK. The "-server" option usually provides better performance and
stability on long running servers, so I would recommend it on a
production environment.

Cheers,
Rodrigo

GRID SYSTEMS, S.A.             Rodrigo Ruiz
Parc Bit - Edificio 17         Research Coordinator
07121 Palma de Mallorca
Baleares - Spain
http://www.gridsystems.com/

Re: Tomcat 5.5: Jre or Jdk?

Posted by Edoardo Panfili <ed...@aspix.it>.
Hoa Doan wrote:
> What is the "-server" option and how to you turn it on?  I thought when you install Tomcat it will ask where the JRE is not the JDK so why do you need to install JDK.
>
> Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com> wrote: Hi,
>
> AFAIK, Tomcat 5.5 uses the Eclipse compiler, so it does not require a
> JDK to compile JSPs anymore.
>
> However, a JRE comes with only a "client" virtual machine. If you want
> to run your Tomcat with a "server" virtual machine, you will need a full
> JDK.

Are you sure regarding this?
I can't see this difference in the sun documentation
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/java.html
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/solaris/java.html

Edoardo

--