Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jason McMahon <jm...@adwin.com> on 2016/07/11 07:20:07 UTC

Legality of use question

Hello,

I wish to ask a legal question regarding the packaging of your product
within one of our products. I am not very good with the complex legal
speak language that most licenses, copyrights, etc have and wish to get
a more direct, layman terms answer to my question.

Background:
We are currently developing a curriculum for one of our learning
products and have been using your wonderful OpenOffice suite to create
it. Unfortunately when converting to Microsoft Office formats, there are
several issues that occur. As such, it would be better for our customers
to use the same products to view / use our documentation.

My question is as follows:
Is it allowable to include the installation package of OpenOffice Suite
in our product package as a "free software" inclusion which does not
reflect or influence, directly or indirectly, the pricing of our product?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response at your
convenience.

--

Sincerely,

Jason McMahon
Research & Development / Engineer
Adwin Corporation
Hiroshima, Japan
ph:    +81-82-537-2460
fax:    +81-82-238-3920

Re: Legality of use question

Posted by DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Jason McMahon <jm...@adwin.com> wrote:
> Jason McMahon

It is a users help forum.

Jason McMahon, as a user I appreciated your post.
 I never knew of a private address. I wonder what other useful contact
information is out of sight

Knowledge workers "think for a living"
The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away
from you.- B.B. King
 Please visit          http:// mainzoneknowledgenetwork . blogspot
com/        {remove spaces}

Re: Legality of use question

Posted by Jason McMahon <jm...@adwin.com>.
Thank you all for your responses.

I wish to apologize for my blunder of posting my question to the mailing
list. I was a bit confused about where to send my request and ended up
finding this mailing list, thinking it was a sort of "USERS" help email
address.

Thank you Dennis for pointing me in the correct direction. I have sent a
revised copy of my email to the address you provided.

Sorry for the trouble and confusion.

RE: Legality of use question

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Jason,

Re: Legality of use question

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 11/07/2016 07:20, Jason McMahon wrote:

> Is it allowable to include the installation package of OpenOffice Suite in our product package

That is more or less the point of the Apache Software Foundation.

Apache OpenOffice is distributed under _The Apache License, Version
2.0_, which can be found at https://www.apache.org/licenses/.

For how local law affects the requirements of that license, consult a
lawyer/solicitor in your locale.

> a "free software" inclusion which does not reflect or influence,
directly or indirectly, the pricing of our product?

The "Free" of "Free Software" refers to Libre, not Gratis. As such, if
you want to sell Apache OpenOffice, either as part of a package, or as a
stand alone product, you can do so.

jonathon