Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/18 13:44:03 UTC

Working Ecosystems at ASF

Hi at all

According the survey, there are only 50% of the developers spare time
developers. The rest works during there worktime. My question is, what for
models are used outthere. I'm interested how the model works. So other
Apache project can learn from it. Has anybody ever used crowd funding to
cover development costs?

Regards Raphael

--
Mein Blog: https://raphaelbircher.blogspot.ch

Re: Working Ecosystems at ASF

Posted by Matthew Sacks <ma...@matthewsacks.com>.
1++

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> David, your answer gets 5 stars from me.

Ditto... End of the day, the money for said paid developers will be coming
from some monetary contributors, and instead of fighting that they have no
say in how the money is to be spent, we can simply say "Hire the developers
yourself, and do the work you see most fit for you.", which is what happens
in reality.

If you look at the "local time of commits", I think it is pretty clear that
a large portion of all contributions are "at work" or "paid for". And we
are fine with that...

A more interesting question would be; Are projects allowed "Hire a
community member" pages, where individuals can announce their availability
to get paid to work on features or even downstream application of their
Apache Foo project? I can't recall seeing that, although there are such
pages referencing hiring entire companies for this. So, I am curious
whether a market actually exist... since I have on a couple of occasions
secured freelance contracts (without the advert/announcement of
availability) at ASF projects.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Working Ecosystems at ASF

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 1/18/17 8:03 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Raphael Bircher
> <rb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Why ASF dosen't found Developers?. Some people say, because to non-profit
>> status. Others say, this are our rules....
> "These are our rules" would be a bad answer IMO ;-)
>
> The way I see it, the ASF funding development would create advantages
> for companies which depend on funded projects, which is incompatible
> with our charity status.

There are a lot of other non-profit charities that pay people to
pursue their core mission and in fact the ASF now pays people to
work on infrastructure, so I don't think this really has (or has to
have) anything to do with our nonprofit status.  I think the
long-standing tradition of the ASF not paying "volunteers" to code
on projects derives more from the first part of your answer: we
don't want to pick winners.  Also, we want to encourage actual
volunteering.

> Strict rules might help avoid that but it's probably much easier to
> handle funding independently of the ASF, as was done in the example
> that I mentioned here earlier.

+1
I guess that's another reason that we don't pay developers: others
means exist to get funding and we have neither need nor desire to
get into that.

Phil

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/01/2017 17:04, \u674e \u94ed wrote:

<snip/>

This [insert noun of choice here] has been removed from this list for
spamming.

While I was at it I checked and there are not subscribed to any other
ASF lists.

Mark

Re: Re: Working Ecosystems at ASF

Posted by 李 铭 <gi...@hotmail.com>.
分享Various Artists的专辑《Monstercat 013 - Awakening》: http://music.163.com/album/2516389/?userid=89343541 (来自@网易云音乐)

Sent from Netease Mail

Hi Raphael,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Raphael,

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand

<bd...@apache.org>:

> Hi Raphael,
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Raphael Bircher
> <rb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Has anybody ever used crowd funding to cover development costs?...
>
> I know of one documented case,
> http://community.apache.org/committers/funding-disclaimer.html but I
> don't have info on how well it went.
>
> The disclaimer was important to properly dissociate such initiatives
> form the ASF, which does not fund software development.

Thanks for the link. This rise a question, i got never a real answer for
it. Why ASF dosen't found Developers?. Some people say, because to
non-profit status. Others say, this are our rules. But what are the
reasons behind. It would be nice, if someone take the time to explain this.

Regards, Raphael

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Raphael,