Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2015/05/01 13:42:00 UTC

Re: Looking ahead to 2.4.13 / 2.2.30

Yeah... I was gonna propose that once I had the weekend
to take a more in-depth look at 2.4... But I am +1 for
a release v. soon.

Yeah, I'll RM 2.4

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
I never assume it is easy. As far as AIX goes, it would be "easier" for me,
as a packager to ignore AIX 5.3. But, for now, what I package for AIX 5.3
(TL7 and later) also works on AIX 6.1 and AIX 7.1 - unchanged.

Getting people to update is hard. Some do it automatically - proud to be
bleading edge, some never update regardless of argument.

I would hope that by changing any requisites (e.g., minimal level of
openssl) would not change the behavior of the application. If it does, then
I would tend to follow (what I think you are saying) - that such a change
is not permitted. In that case, hurrying a new release where it is
applicable (e.g., 2.6.X) might be sensible - if a factor such as security
is the driving (emotional) motivator.

What was I thinking? Well, little me was considering the recent "media"
storms re: web-related security (when they mean the servers that browsers
connect to) - and what an organization (perhaps community is a better word)
could do to assist from the server side - rather than placing ALL the
responsibility and load on the remote device (phone, tablet, desktop).

So, yes - it it "breaks" the server by raising the bar as far as XXX is
concerned, we cannot, or maybe should not, raise that bar for those
releases with an "improved" XXX.

As far as OpenSSL goes - maybe the only affected component is mod_ssl. I am
probably completely offbase (I like simple worldviews when I can get away
with it) - but I thought OpenSSL is an API. I would hope the API for 0.9.7
and 0.9.8 are compatible; while openssl-1.0.0 and OpenSSL-0.9.X are not.
And again, that is only an issue if something in the new API is definitely
needed. If not, something like mod_ssl might still link against
OpenSSL-0.9.8 - but, as far as ASF httpd and mod_ssl is concerned -
security concerns with the root cause in openssl-0.9.8 are not supported.

Please excuse my rambling: too many phone calls in between.

In short, if it does not impact the expected behavior of httpd I would hope
that dropping "support" for openssl-0.9.X will improve "the product" and be
a motivator for upgrading, rather than a limiting factor. (Oh how I love my
pink glasses :) )

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
FWIW...

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
>From my perspective - as a simple packager (re: openssl - old versions) I
run into the problem of only being able to get to 0.9.8.k (AIX 5.3 TL12).
With AIX 6.1 and 7.1 it would be openssl-1.0.0(something - do not know by
memory what patchlevel IBM openssl.base is at). Personally, I am going to
look at packaging against LibreSSL. There are only three #ifdefs I needed
to add to get it to build. My apologies for being so late with saying
anything about this (I have been busy with 'regular' work.

I will start a new thread later today - and do it again from trunks of
2.2.x, 2.4.x and 2.5.x.

In short, there are ways around dependencies on old versions of openssl on
AIX. And further, if a 'user' is not willing to upgrade their OpenSSL - why
would you think they are going to upgrade to the latest httpd-2.2.x (or any
version for that matter).

The rules change - and we (read "me and other users") cannot reasonably
claim "latest and greatest from ASF" while requiring support for insecure
openssl. IMHO - you, ASF, also have an implied responsibility to the users
of Apache httpd powered sites. Being backward compatible too long keeps
weaknesses alive.

Michael

p.s. - for what is is worth +1 to drop 0.9.7 (maybe even 0.9.8 - but must
test more)

Michael

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
+1