Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by "David G. Simmons" <sa...@mac.com> on 2016/10/12 13:16:00 UTC

Odd connection by newt

Good morning,

I'm a bit of a security wonk about some things, so I watch what my machine is doing -- network wise -- pretty carefully. This morning, I was doing a brand-new newt install and came across something odd.

For some reason, newt tries to make a connection to andyshora.com <http://andyshora.com/> on port 443.
andyshora.com -> 151.101.32.133
   Server Name: ETHEREUMCLASIC.COM
   IP Address: 151.101.32.133
   Registrar: GOOGLE INC.
   Whois Server: whois.google.com
   Referral URL: http://domains.google.com

Why on earth would Newt be attempting this connection? If I deny the connection request, newt fails.

dg
--
David G. Simmons
(919) 534-5099

There are only 2 hard things in computer science: Cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors.

Re: Odd connection by newt

Posted by Christopher Collins <cc...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 12:36:45PM -0400, David G. Simmons wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I run a program called Little Snitch on my mac that monitors all
> incoming and outgoing network activity. I have the screws tightened
> down pretty hard on it, so it always asks before it allows an incoming
> or outgoing connection from a program to a new address.
>
> But in the interim, I have figured it out ... I dig a little deeper,
> and found this:
>
> DSimmons-Pro:client dsimmons$ dig raw.githubusercontent.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> raw.githubusercontent.com
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;raw.githubusercontent.com.	IN	A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> raw.githubusercontent.com. 6	IN	CNAME	github.map.fastly.net.
> github.map.fastly.net.	687	IN	CNAME	prod.github.map.fastlylb.net.
> prod.github.map.fastlylb.net. 6	IN	A	151.101.32.133
>
> So apparently github is using a shared-hosting or load-balancer that
> resolves to the same address as a bunch of other websites. Like
> andyshora.com <http://andyshora.com/> and deladdiogames.com
> <http://deladdiogames.com/> and probably others.
>
> I'm guessing that TCPDump doesn't attempt to resolve the host name for
> the IP address, but LittleSnitch does, and gets a (seemingly random)
> hostname back from the shared host/load balancer and therein lies the
> issue.

Oh wow, that is interesting.  When I tried, I must have gotten "lucky,"
because github didn't use any unusual looking addresses.

Thanks for following up.

Chris

Re: Odd connection by newt

Posted by "David G. Simmons" <sa...@mac.com>.