Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Eduardo José Hernández Cisneros <ej...@hotmail.com> on 2005/07/01 18:04:41 UTC

and Struts 1.2.7 possible bug?

Hi everybody,

    I recently upgrade my struts libraries to 1.2.7 from 1.2.4. I am using
the <html:xhtml/>  tag with:

    onsubmit="return validateProductTypeForm(this)">
…

In 1.2.4 version the html:form tag renders correctly the form name
attribute, but when a I changed to 1.2.7 the form name disappeared and this
causing trouble with a javascript client-side validation that I am using.
The funny part is that when I remove <html:xhtml/> tag with 1.2.7 version
the form name appears again.

Am I using wrongly the <html:xhtml/>  tag or could it be a bug?

Thank you for your time.

--Eduardo

Re: and Struts 1.2.7 possible bug?

Posted by Xi Ping Wang <xi...@gmail.com>.
   There is no name attribute in form tag according to  xhtml
specification. So if you use <html:xhtml/> or <html:html
xhtml="true"/> , name attribute will not be generated.
  You can use id attribute to identify your form.

Posted by Tobias Neumann <to...@gmail.com>.
On 2005-07-01 18:04:41 +0200, Eduardo José Hernández Cisneros
<ej...@hotmail.com> said:

> Hi everybody,
>
>     I recently upgrade my struts libraries to 1.2.7 from 1.2.4. I am
> using the <html:xhtml/>  tag with:

>     onsubmit="return validateProductTypeForm(this)">
> …

> In 1.2.4 version the html:form tag renders correctly the form name
> attribute, but when a I changed to 1.2.7 the form name disappeared and
> this causing trouble with a javascript client-side validation that I am
> using. The funny part is that when I remove <html:xhtml/> tag with
> 1.2.7 version the form name appears again.
>
> Am I using wrongly the <html:xhtml/>  tag or could it be a bug?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> --Eduardo

In the XHTML standard 1.0 the name attribute is marked as obsolete.
You must now specifiy an id attribute (with styleId="formName").
To fix the bug with javascript validation/focus and the id-attribute,
you need to get the latest jakarta commons-validator from the svn
repository so that javascript validation
recognizes the id attribute as the form name too.

Tobias

Re: and Struts 1.2.7 possible bug?

Posted by Ivan Rodriguez <iv...@interd4u.com>.
I have the same situation that yours. My solution is to save the static
part of validator in an static .js file

<script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/validator.js"></script>

...and replace all ocurrences of
    var formName = form.getAttributeNode("name");
with
    var formName = form.getAttributeNode("id");

My previous setup was
<script type="text/javascript" src="<c:url
value="/scripts/validator.jsp"/>"> </script>

Inside validator.jsp there was:

<%@ page language="java" contentType="javascript/x-javascript" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-html" prefix="html" %>

Like this you can save the javascript functions, pointing your browser
to http://host/context/scripts/validador.jsp