Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by r d <ba...@hotmail.com> on 2001/06/13 20:24:54 UTC

JavaOne- Batik materials on Batik site?

Max,

Thank you for your great description of JavaOne Batik sessions!
its great to read about Batik and it showing at JavaOne...Long live Batik
and SVG!

I think that Max brings up a good point about session materials..

>>I think it would be a good idea to put the materials from the BOF and >the
>>technical session on the Batik site.  It appears Sun is going to >>attempt
>>to sell access to the slides from JavaOne this year, which I >>think is
>>very unfortunate.  Hopefully the Batik materials will be >>.available to
>>all at no cost.

I would like to second this idea....I do not know the legal problems that
may surround the Batik Team on this issue.....but I do know that the
individuals that made the presentation....can make a Batik presentation on
the Batik site....if they want....If the material is free on Sun Site then
there should be a link to it...If it is not free....then in the spirit of
the open movement and Apache mission, I would like to request that it is
placed on the site for free :-) :

Here is apache Mission :
to provide commercial-quality standards-based XML solutions that are
developed in an open and cooperative fashion,
to provide feedback to standards bodies (such as IETF and W3C) from an
implementation perspective, and
to be a focus for XML-related activities within Apache projects.

developed in an open and cooperative fashion....I believe putting the batik
session notes(video,slides, etc..) on the Batik site for free would help all
who attended and did not attend ( plus the new Batikers that would like to
understand batik). Development in Apache is open and cooperative ..only if
information is distributed openly and in a cooperative fashion! I maybe
wrong...but SVG and Batik are open and I would hope that the presenters of
the Batik sessions feel the same way about their sessions (baring any legal
problems...)

to be a focus for XML-related activities.......Batik at JavaOne certainly
does qualify as being a focus for XML-related activities....and having the
notes (video,slides,etc...) on the site would only strengthen Batik's
commitment to the mission of Apache.

I do not know all the issues behind the reason Sun would decide to close off
open learning on the web....except $ ...let Batik (if it can) be a beckon of
open and cooperative learning and make computer science knowledge free for
all.....

and you know how I feel about it:

We all learn by sharing what we know
Robert A. DiBlasi