Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Ditlinger, Steve" <SD...@ebuilt.com> on 2003/03/19 04:22:01 UTC

Even newer release of sslext posted

All:

Yesterday's posting of new releases of sslext was to fix a bug that had been
reported a few days previously.  Now we have a new release with a new
feature that I am pretty excited about.

A little background:  Some older browsers (notable Netscape 4.x) would treat
as being part of two different sessions.  e.g. a request to
https://www.somedomain.com would belong to one session and
http://www.somedomain.com would belong to another session.  On some web
containers (e.g. WebLogic), there was a "cookie-domain" setting that would
allow you tell the browser to treat all responses from the same domain as a
single session.  However, other containers (e.g. Tomcat) did not have this
feature.

An idea was suggested on this list last week by my constant inspiration, Max
Cooper, why not just force a URL rewrite when switching between protocols to
force the session to be shared between the two protocols?  Why not, indeed?
So brilliant, yet so simple, the very definition of elegance.

Yesterday, we tried out this idea, and sure enough it worked; we are sharing
sessions on Netscape 4.7 using Tomcat where previously two sessions had been
created.  Eureka!  This dual session problem has been such a pain for so
long that I am disappointed we didn't think of this sooner.

The new release dubbed "sslext - Struts1.1RC1 - 2" is the latest and
greatest and includes this new feature.  Find it at
http://sslext.sourceforge.net.  This new release also clears up a bug in
module selection which could emerge if using anchors or a URL which had
already been rewritten.

Special thanks to Max for his suggestion and diagnostic assistance.

Steve