Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/12 20:42:02 UTC

Re: Solr 1.4 Field collapsing - What are the steps for applying the SOLR-236 patch?

I wouldn't use the patches of the sub issues right now as they are
under development right now (the are currently a POC). I also think
that the latest patch in SOLR-236 is currently the best option. There
are some memory related problems with the patch that have to do with
caching. The fieldCollapse cache requires a lot of memory (best is not
to use it right now). The filterCache also becomes quite large as
well. Depending on the size your corpus you would need to increase
your heap size and play around with that.

Martijn

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

Re: Solr 1.4 Field collapsing - What are the steps for applying the SOLR-236 patch?

Posted by Kelly Taylor <wi...@hotmail.com>.
Do you also suggest applying that latest patch to the Solr 1.4 GA version of
the source code (branch-1.4)?

I'm a little worried about it breaking Solrj due to the merge issues
encountered (see below). Would I need to stop using Solrj as my client, and
start using staight HTTP requests to take advantage of the field-collapsing
functionality?

I did successfully build and test branch-1.4 with the field-collapse-5.patch
(patch from 12-08-2009 9:43 PM) but also see dependency issues in my IDE.

-Kelly

MERGE ISSUES (branch-1.4 and latest SOLR-236.patch)...

src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/QueryComponent.java

The file line
  // we already have the sort values
and the patchline
  ArrayList<String> ids = new ArrayList<String>(shardDocs.size());
do not match!

src/solrj/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/SolrQuery.java

The file line
  import org.apache.solr.common.params.TermsParams;
and the patchline

do not match!

src/solrj/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/response/QueryResponse.java

The file line
  private NamedList _termsInfo = null;
and the patchline

do not match!