Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2005/10/14 22:38:06 UTC

[vote] new site layout

Hi,

Just wanted offer out the new site layout for a vote before publishing
it to the main site:

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/

You'll notice I've reduced the navigation on the left and placed all the
documentation here:

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/index.html

There are still some documents that need some work but I think this will
do for the release and I'll keep working on things.

I'd also like to thank David Jackman, Bob Allison, Raphael Pieroni and
Jay Hartley for their contributions on the documentation front. Much
appreciated.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 00:19 -0400, John Casey wrote:

> +1
>
> I think we just need to keep in mind that this will probably have to be
> republished for fine tuning in the near future, as the community
> identifies/votes for the most important areas of the site.

I imagine it will be republished frequently, most likely daily until
things are fully fleshed out.

I'm working on the issues people have raised and when Kenney lifts his
veto I will publish the site.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Informations in http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/general.html#available-plugins are
incorrect. Plugins are at http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/ like other artifacts

Emmanuel

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Vincent

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
I think the link to
http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/plugins/index.html should be made
more clear.

Thanks,
Stéphane

On 10/14/05, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wanted offer out the new site layout for a vote before publishing
> it to the main site:
>
> http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/
>
> You'll notice I've reduced the navigation on the left and placed all the
> documentation here:
>
> http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/index.html
>
> There are still some documents that need some work but I think this will
> do for the release and I'll keep working on things.
>
> I'd also like to thank David Jackman, Bob Allison, Raphael Pieroni and
> Jay Hartley for their contributions on the documentation front. Much
> appreciated.
>
> --
> jvz.
>
> Jason van Zyl
> jason at maven.org <http://maven.org>
> http://maven.apache.org
>
> Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Samuel Le Berrigaud <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think there is a typo on this page:

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/mini/guide-apt-format.html

First line, shouldn't one read: APT stands for "Almost Plain Text" (Text and
not Test). I hope I'm not wrong... Please forgive me if it's not the right
place for such remarks... I thought it is quite an "important" typo !

Sam.

On 10/16/05, dan tran <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It may way off topic, is it possible to put a search machenism
> as the site get big?. I am sure my company would like to use it
> as well, as our internal site is growing rapidly.
> -D
>
> On 10/16/05, Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> > -1:
> >
> > 1) The left box should be a little wider so 'Project Documentation'
> > isn't wrapped. (this is also a problem with the current site - didn't
> > notice that earlier).
> >
> > 2)
> >
> > General Information
> > For Maven 1.0 Users
> >
> > looks like 1 item to me, although they are actually 2. Maybe add >
> > or bullets, or a little more whitespace between the lines?
> >
> > 3) The items under 'installing' don't all have to do with the
> > installation. Usually max 7 items should be shown, each with their
> > own submenu (unfold?) that are NOT related - related items should
> > be grouped in submenus or something.
> >
> > 4) The most visited links are I think: 'Project descriptor' and
> > 'Settings descriptor'. I can't find them (within 30 seconds).
> >
> > 5) Project Documentation -> not really docs, just reports. But that's a
> > problem of the site:site plugin.
> >
> > 6) 'Introduction' and 'About maven' are the same page.
> >
> > Otherwise: +1 reduction of the amount of menu items shown - it was
> > very hard to find stuff - not sure this is the way to go though;
> > grouping guides is fine, but some info has gone from the main page and
> it
> > isn't clear to me where it can be found now.
> >

> > -- Kenney
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just wanted offer out the new site layout for a vote before publishing
> > > it to the main site:
> > >
> > > http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/
> > >
> > > You'll notice I've reduced the navigation on the left and placed all
> the
> > > documentation here:
> > >
> > > http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/index.html
> > >
> > > There are still some documents that need some work but I think this
> will
> > > do for the release and I'll keep working on things.
> > >
> > > I'd also like to thank David Jackman, Bob Allison, Raphael Pieroni and
> > > Jay Hartley for their contributions on the documentation front. Much
> > > appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > jvz.
> > >
> > > Jason van Zyl
> > > jason at maven.org <http://maven.org> <http://maven.org>
> > > http://maven.apache.org
> > >
> > > Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)

> > --
> > Kenney Westerhof
> > http://www.neonics.com
> > GPG public key: http://www.gods.nl/~forge/kenneyw.key

Samuel Le Berrigaud

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 18:56 +0200, Kenney Westerhof wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> > -1:
>
> Definitely all points to take into consideration but a -1? A veto is
> generally used in extreme cases and is not something to be used lightly.
> Everything looks reasonable and a -0 would do in this case. I will
> certainly fix most things listed but please consider removing the veto
> as some points are subjective and I would not like to be restricted from
> publishing the site because of one persons objections. I would like to
> gather input from a wider audience and makes improvements as seen fit by
> the users as a whole.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize -1 was a veto! I just meant it as a 'No' :)

I'm adjusting my vote to -0.

> > 1) The left box should be a little wider so 'Project Documentation'
> > isn't wrapped. (this is also a problem with the current site - didn't
> > notice that earlier).
>
> It's not wrapped in Firefox, it appears fine to me. Are you using IE?

No, firefox, even on 1600x1200 fullscreen it's still wrapped. Default text
size.

> > 2)
> >
> > General Information
> > For Maven 1.0 Users
> >
> > looks like 1 item to me, although they are actually 2. Maybe add >
> > or bullets, or a little more whitespace between the lines?
>
> Ok. Generally the > indicates a sub menu.

Well actually that'd be a filled >, like |>  :)

> > 3) The items under 'installing' don't all have to do with the
> > installation.  Usually max 7 items should be shown, each with their
> > own submenu (unfold?) that are NOT related - related items should
> > be grouped in submenus or something.
>
> Sure.
>
> > 4) The most visited links are I think: 'Project descriptor' and
> > 'Settings descriptor'. I can't find them (within 30 seconds).
>
> Possibly. But easy enough to add back into the main navigation.

Ofcourse, although I think they're too specific to be put on the main
site; they're not meant to be in the guides either. Maybe just a
'Reference' link to a page containing pom.xml, settings.xml, and the
lifecycle phases?

> > 5) Project Documentation -> not really docs, just reports. But that's a
> > problem of the site:site plugin.
>
> I would agree and can be fixed.
>
> > 6) 'Introduction' and 'About maven' are the same page.
>
> I agree that should be fixed too.

Allright! :) Sorry about the -1! Definitely a +100 for the guides part!

-- Kenney

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>What specifically and I can do that later today.

I'd start with a clean slate. Basically like the m1 front page:
- very brief intro
- download box
- news
- pointers on where to start so you don't have to use the navigation

All rest sounds good to me. Especially ridding xdoc (except for the
front page - no way to include extra HTML in APT yet)

- Brett

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 03:13 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> +1
>
> I think the getting started guide is great, but long and intimidating
> for a first look. Any chance the original guide might be made into a "10
> minute take it for a spin" like we had before, then the getting started
> guide is the "here are all the basics you need to know for day to day
> use" before the comprehensive guides?

I can snippet out pieces of the GSG and do that. The first part of the
new GSG is essentially the same as the old.

> Also, I think the front page needs a refresh before 2.0.

What specifically and I can do that later today.

> We need to push it up to the top level, integrating more of the "what is
> maven?" content and linkage. That can happen next week. This would push
> Maven 1.0 docs under a subdirectory. I don't know whether we might want
> to write some link rewrites for the old docs?

I have a list of documents from the m1 site that I have listed in the
notes.txt and I'm about halfway through integrating them into the m2
site (sorry the mvn site!) and that should shortly as I converted them
to APT as I can't look at xdocs anymore.

> - Brett
>
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Just wanted offer out the new site layout for a vote before publishing
> >it to the main site:
> >
> >http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/
> >
> >You'll notice I've reduced the navigation on the left and placed all the
> >documentation here:
> >
> >http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/index.html
> >
> >There are still some documents that need some work but I think this will
> >do for the release and I'll keep working on things.
> >
> >I'd also like to thank David Jackman, Bob Allison, Raphael Pieroni and
> >Jay Hartley for their contributions on the documentation front. Much
> >appreciated.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [vote] new site layout

Posted by "Juan F. Codagnone" <ju...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hi,

in http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/index.html there are two
links for "Guide to creating a multi-module build", and the last one is
wrong.

Juan.

--
Buenos Aires, Argentina                           16°C with winds at 11 km/h E