Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com> on 2000/10/30 05:33:03 UTC

Re: [NOISE] [jBoss-Dev] Re: jboss on tomcat update

An aside,

There is, AFAIK, one good reason to use GPL over any other Open Source or
Free Software license, and it's a very very good reason: To maximize the
spread of the GPL.

IOW, it's to forward the tenets of freedom in software development and to
more or less declare that other software is opposed to freedom. BSD-style
licenses are trying to co-exist with closed software. GPL is trying to
fight closed software. With GPL, it's a case of "the friend of my enemy is
my enemy".

I personally like the GPL for this reason, but then I am a tree-hugging
pinko, like RMS. Not many of my colleages are and Eric Raymond for damn
sure is not. (he would probably shoot me picketing a sawmill with one
of his handguns) But if I want to co-exist with other
non-tree-hugging-non-pinkos I'd better learn the art of compromise. :)

-Nick

--
Nicolaus Bauman
Software Engineer

Re: [NOISE] [jBoss-Dev] Re: jboss on tomcat update

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 10/29/2000 8:33 PM, "Nick Bauman" <ni...@cortexity.com> wrote:

> An aside,
>
> There is, AFAIK, one good reason to use GPL over any other Open Source or
> Free Software license, and it's a very very good reason: To maximize the
> spread of the GPL.
>
> IOW, it's to forward the tenets of freedom in software development and to
> more or less declare that other software is opposed to freedom. BSD-style
> licenses are trying to co-exist with closed software. GPL is trying to
> fight closed software. With GPL, it's a case of "the friend of my enemy is
> my enemy".
>
> I personally like the GPL for this reason, but then I am a tree-hugging
> pinko, like RMS. Not many of my colleages are and Eric Raymond for damn
> sure is not. (he would probably shoot me picketing a sawmill with one
> of his handguns) But if I want to co-exist with other
> non-tree-hugging-non-pinkos I'd better learn the art of compromise. :)
>
> -Nick

I live in Berkeley California with all those tree huggers. I like trees as
well.

Reality is that I don't need a license to grow trees in the wild in order to
keep them free.

:-)

-jon

--