Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Ford, Chris" <Ch...@CIBC.ca> on 2005/04/11 23:15:33 UTC

Intermittent Null pointer in ComponentDefinitionsFactory

Hello -

We've been seeing the following exception intermittently in our test environments. The user sees a blank screen. We have not been able to establish a pattern. We're using Struts 1.1 with JDK1.4.204

####<Mar 16, 2005 5:59:23 PM EST> <Info> <HTTP> <wmsccusotiswli1u.ca.cibcwm.com> <gowpo10cN1> <ExecuteThread: '3' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.System'> <<anonymous>> <> <BEA-101047> <[ServletContext(id=13205013,name=atm,context-path=/atm)] action: init>
####<Mar 16, 2005 5:59:46 PM EST> <Error> <HTTP> <wmsccusotiswli1u.ca.cibcwm.com> <gowpo10cN1> <ExecuteThread: '10' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default'> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <BEA-101020> <[ServletContext(id=746976,name=otis-common-gow-war,context-path=)] Servlet failed with Exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.struts.tiles.definition.ComponentDefinitionsFactoryWrapper.getDefinition(ComponentDefinitionsFactoryWrapper.java:124)
        at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processTilesDefinition(TilesRequestProcessor.java:180)
        at com.cibcwm.go.otis.common.workbench.WorkbenchClientTilesRequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(WorkbenchClientTilesRequestProcessor.java:80)
        at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:279)
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1482)
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:507)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(ServletStubImpl.java:1008)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:419)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.TailFilter.doFilter(TailFilter.java:28)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
        at com.cibcwm.go.otis.mf.client.servlet.WorkbenchClientFilter.doFilter(WorkbenchClientFilter.java:73)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
        at com.cibcwm.go.otis.client.common.AuthRedirectFilter.doFilter(AuthRedirectFilter.java:179)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.RequestDispatcherImpl.include(RequestDispatcherImpl.java:644)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.RequestDispatcherImpl.include(RequestDispatcherImpl.java:423)
        at com.cibcwm.go.otis.common.workbench.ui.DecoratorFilter.doFilter(DecoratorFilter.java:238)

We have multiple web applications deployed to a common WebLogic 8.1 SP3 domain. A single common web application provides the user framework for a number of embedded web app's that provide specific business functionality. Each webapp is deployed as part of an application-specifc EAR file. The common web app is also deployed as a part of an EAR. The problem is temporarily resolved by restarting the affected server or redeploying the common EAR including webapp from the WLS console. The business webapps will often draw a page with tiles, including the banner from the common webapp. The first time such a page is composed is when we see this problem. If we can safely navigate to one of these page types, we don't see the problem until the server is restarted again.

Any ideas? We thought that configuring isModuleAware in struts-config.xml from true to false might help, but this does not seem to be the case.

thanks in advance,

Chris