Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/21 17:25:38 UTC

IMPORTANT: March 31st, 2019 deadline for deactivation of old ODFAuthor Plone service

Howdy folks,
I has been a while since I've said hello on you mailing list.
Reason for doing so today is, as the subject says, regarding the ODFAuthors
website which had been used at one time by folks developing documentation
for both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice.
As you can see the Document Foundation, which has been hosting the site,
is  looking to move away from it and currently looking to shudder the
service in an expeditious fashion. March 31, 2019 being at a minimum the
date on which the server will be read only.
What follows is a copy of an email that went out to the Document
Foundation's documentation mailing list last week.
----------------------------
Hello Authors

In order to optimize our resources in many aspects (manpower, security,
hardware) we started last year the migration of some documentation
communities to the NextCloud service.

https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org

To the date, the EN, DE, FR, ES, pt-BR, IT, NL and TR documentation
communities have open folders in NextCloud and started to move data
from old ODF Author Plone to the new repository in NextCloud.

I ask the remaining community leaders to start the migration process so
we can keep March 31st, 2019 our deadline for freezing and deactivating
the plone service.

The migration is no more complex than recreating the same folder
tree of the NL community in the NextCloud service and moving the
files to the new service. Of course, as when moving to a new home, you
may want to do some housekeeping on the contents.

We will also move AOO / OO.o files to our NextCloud just in case.

The old ODFAuthor plone service will be handed shutdown and archived. No
loss of data expected.

More on NextCloud at TDF:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ODFAuthorsMigration

kind regards

As part of the process I was tasked with be responsible for maintaining a
copy of the published files currently under the AOO and OO.o directories on
the plone server over on the next cloud service mentioned above. This is
just to ensure that they are saved in a place which could offer public
access long term.

In starting this process I have scanned through the files on the OADAuthors
site and have found a number directories marked as private (which is in
addition to a flag 'not published). I wanted to talk with folks here first
and get your guidance on how best to proceed.

My guess is there are questions - and I'll do my best to work with you on
those through the mailing list here.

Thanks for you attention to this and in advance for your time.

Best wishes,

Drew

Re: IMPORTANT: March 31st, 2019 deadline for deactivation of old ODFAuthor Plone service

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
One follow up on this - while it is in front of me.

It appears the last time a file under the AOO tree was updated was in third
quarter 2017 and those appear to be work files and 'not published' final
docs.