Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2008/01/28 10:00:44 UTC

Delete the "sling" directory during mvn clean? (was: svn commit: r615221...)

On Jan 27, 2008 11:27 PM, Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> wrote:
> ...Should we really delete stuff outside the target folder upon clean ?
>
> Usually I run the launcher with the sling.home outside of target exactly
> for not having it removed upon each "maven clean"....

If we don't delete the sling directory in "mvn clean", the risk is
having old bundles in this directory, and not understanding why the
app behaves in a weird way.

I'm open to other suggestions, but I think we must have a one-liner
that completely cleans the application state, to avoid painful
debugging when people start experimenting with Sling.

-Bertrand

Re: Delete the "sling" directory during mvn clean? (was: svn commit: r615221...)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2008 11:27 PM, Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> wrote:
>> ...Should we really delete stuff outside the target folder upon clean ?
>>
>> Usually I run the launcher with the sling.home outside of target exactly
>> for not having it removed upon each "maven clean"....
>
> If we don't delete the sling directory in "mvn clean", the risk is
> having old bundles in this directory, and not understanding why the
> app behaves in a weird way.
>
> I'm open to other suggestions, but I think we must have a one-liner
> that completely cleans the application state, to avoid painful
> debugging when people start experimenting with Sling.

Did you have the look at issue 205; I committed the provided patch.
Perhaps it already solves this issue. If not we should try to configure
all modules properly so that all dirs and files are created under the
target directory.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Delete the "sling" directory during mvn clean? (was: svn commit: r615221...)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Jan 28, 2008 10:35 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...I think the proposed changes of SLING-205 by putting the
> sling.home folder for the integration tests inside target, where it
> really belongs IMHO, is probably the way to go. This way, "mvn clean"
> removes that stuff automatically....

Agreed - in addition to the previous SLING-205 changes (thanks
Carsten), I have changed the launchpad pom so that sling.home is set
to target/sling when starting with "jetty:run". The -Djetty.sling.home
propery can change this.

In this way, people starting with "jetty:run" can go back to a blank
slate using "mvn clean".

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Betrand,

Am Montag, den 28.01.2008, 10:00 +0100 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> On Jan 27, 2008 11:27 PM, Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> wrote:
> > ...Should we really delete stuff outside the target folder upon clean ?
> >
> > Usually I run the launcher with the sling.home outside of target exactly
> > for not having it removed upon each "maven clean"....
>
> If we don't delete the sling directory in "mvn clean", the risk is
> having old bundles in this directory, and not understanding why the
> app behaves in a weird way.

Absoutely. I think the proposed changes of SLING-205 by putting the
sling.home folder for the integration tests inside target, where it
really belongs IMHO, is probably the way to go. This way, "mvn clean"
removes that stuff automatically.

Regards
Felix