Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Kapil.apache" <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/06 07:58:55 UTC

Issue in writing very large spreadsheet with cell comments using SXSSF

Need help in writing very large spreadsheet containing cell comments through
POI.

	Out of memory (Heap Size 1 GB)
o	When writing data of around 10,00,000 into excel, system is throwing
error.
	Following changes were made for mitigation
•	Tried to call System.gc
•	Making some of the objects “NULL” ,if not required in scope.
•	Uses SXSSF Workbook (with help of it we can specify number rows which can
be accessed)
•	Fetched data from database in chunks.
	Size of Workbook object
o	Is it possible to keep only working sheet in memory, to reduce the size of
workbook in JVM.
o	How to dispose of the workbook and its temp files
	Comments size in a cell
o	On Analysis it was identified, all the comments in the cell are using
tremendous memory, is there any workaround available ?

Re: Issue in writing very large spreadsheet with cell comments using SXSSF

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

SXSSF should stream the content out and thus should not require a lot
of memory, so it sounds you hit some bug where things are kept in
memory nevertheless.

Can you create a bug entry at https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/ and
share some code that allows to reproduce this? Ideally as unit test so
it can be added to the test-suite of POI when it is fixed?

Thanks... Dominik.