Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu> on 2012/10/03 19:30:51 UTC

Block allocations always fail

Hi List.

We have a VCL 2.2 instance running, most things work, but one glaring
problem is still thwarting me.  When I try to create a block allocation,
the computers always come up "Failed"; this in spite of the fact that I
can reserve the same image individually with no issues.

I've tried this so far with the admin@Local account, as well as my user
account which has full admin privileges (or at least as close as we can
get by assigning rights in the Privileges page).

I go to the "Block Allocations" page, click "Create New Block
Allocation", fill in the form, choosing a known-working image in the
"Environment" dropdown, and a "List of Dates/Times" with one time span
in the near future.  "Submit New Block Allocation" pops up a
confirmation window, that goes fine, and I have an entry "Block
Allocations" page under "Manage Block Allocations".  Looks fine.

But, if I click an entry under "Your Active Block Allocations", under
"Current status of computers," the number by "Failed" is equal to the
number of seats I reserved, and as far as I can tell the system never
tries to deploy a VM.

I'm guessing that there is some permission setting or some other item
within the management node that I've overlooked.  Any hints on where to
look?

Thanks,
-j

--
Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu
University of Chicago IT Services

Re: Block allocations always fail

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 02:07:24PM -0500, Michael Jinks wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 02:02:25PM -0500, Michael Jinks wrote:
> > Yes: my database is messed up.  Apparently when I re-added the
> > 'vclsystem' account, 'vcld -setup' didn't stuff a line into the
> > localauth table.  I'm about to do that by hand and see what happens.
>
> Okay!  Now, vclsystem can RPC to the web interface and get a printout of
> the supported methods.
>
> Now back to trying block reservations.

Worky worky!

Thanks, one and all.  I've just watched my first successful block
reservation go through.

--
Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu :: 773-469-9688

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
Yes: my database is messed up.  Apparently when I re-added the
'vclsystem' account, 'vcld -setup' didn't stuff a line into the
localauth table.  I'm about to do that by hand and see what happens.

I'm looking at the SQL setup script from the VCL code distribution but
it's easy to overlook things so I'll ask: Are there other steps I'll
need to take in order to recreate a functional vclsystem account?

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Re: Block allocations and Shib, was Re: Block allocations always fail

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
Oh criminy.  Yep, that's what I did.

Thanks.

Sigh.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

--
-------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Block allocations and Shib, was Re: Block allocations always fail

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
Shibboleth, LDAP and local authentication are parallel authentication mechanisms. They do not interfere with each other.

> We use Shibboleth to provide authN for our VCL web interfaces, and
> during debugging we sometimes switch it off to make it easier to get at
> the local admin account.  I've just realized that this has been
> contributing to our block allocation problems.  When Shib is disabled,
> bock allocations are working.  But when it's switched back on, the
> vclsystem account is intercepted by Apache's Shib module and never has
> a chance to talk to the real web interface.

There are two reasons why this issue could emerge: either your entire vcl web application is being protected by shibboleth or the web browser is sending a shibboleth cookie in its GET request.

If it is the first issue, change the apache httpd configuration so that ONLY the shibauth/ directory is protected by shibboleth. Then restart httpd.

If it is the second issue, you need to restart, i.e. completely quit, your web browser (or use a secondary web browser -- not just a new window). Shibboleth works in a browser by sending session cookies: the VCL web interface inspects these cookies in the HTTP request headers, and if there is a shib cookie present, the browser is redirected to the shibauth/ directory for any user without an otherwise valid application-level cookie. This happens, for instance, when you login to the VCL by means of a Shibboleth IdP, then try to logout, and then go back to the VCL site to login.

I will note that logout is complicated when Shibboleth is involved; if you want Shibboleth logout to work with the VCL, you will need to perform a number of customizations, ensuring that every shib cookie is destroyed or invalidated during the logout process. More information about this is available here: http://people.apache.org/~acoburn/shibboleth.html

> I figure this must have come up elsewhere; how are other sites working
> around this issue?

There is no need for a work-around. These different mechanisms can exist just fine in parallel.

> We have a project on our timeline to put in a back door for admin
> access to VCL, bypassing Shib, but we haven't started work on it yet
> and I don't know if the XML/RPC interface will pose its own issues
> separate from what we'll need to deal with for browser access.

You shouldn't need a special 'back door' for admin access -- just use the 'admin@local' or some other @local account. Those @local accounts are exceedingly handy for both administrative and automated access to the VCL.

It should also be clear that the XML/RPC interface does not work for shib-authenticated users: the VCL application does not, itself, have any means for validating a shib-based user's password, so there is no way for the user to authenticate. More information about this is available here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-608 --- the way around this is something called delegated authentication.

Aaron

--
Aaron Coburn
Systems Administrator and Programmer

Block allocations and Shib, was Re: Block allocations always fail

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Can you login to the VCL website as vclsystem?  Also try running the test

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
Hi Andy.

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
What output does the following script produce?  You should only have to
change the URL.  (Made minor changes to Aaron's)

#---BEGIN---
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use warnings;
use diagnostics;

use RPC::XML::Client;
use Term::ReadKey;
use Data::Dumper;

my $VCL_LOCATION = 'https://<URL>/index.php?mode=xmlrpccall';

$|++;

print "Username: ";
chomp(my $username = <>);

print "Password: ";
ReadMode 2;
chomp(my $password = <>);
ReadMode 0;

my $client = RPC::XML::Client->new($VCL_LOCATION, useragent => ['ssl_opts'
=> {verify_hostname => 0}]);
if (defined($client)) {
print "created RPC::XML client object\n";
}
else {
print "failed to create a new RPC::XML client object, error: " .
($RPC::XML::ERROR || '<none>') . "\n";
exit;
}

$client->useragent->default_header('X-User' => $username);
$client->useragent->default_header('X-Pass' => $password);
$client->useragent->default_header('X-APIVERSION' => 2);

my $response = $client->send_request(("system.listMethods"));
if (!ref($response)) {
print "RPC::XML::Client::send_request failed, error: " . ($RPC::XML::ERROR
|| '<none>') . "\n" . Dumper($response) . "\n";
exit;
}

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 07:47:59PM +0000, Aaron Coburn wrote:
> In .ht-inc/conf.php, have you, by any chance, changed DEFAULT_AFFILID? (It should be '1' and it should correspond to the local affiliation id).

Nope, no changes there.  It's still set to '1'.

> Also, have you possibly removed the "Local Account" entry in the $authMechs array? (You should have an entry with type => local and affiliationid => 1).

That looks good too.  All we've changed is the "Help" entry:

  "Local Account"    => array("type" => "local",
             "affiliationid" => 1,
             "help" => "You probably don't want \"Local Account\" unless you are are an administrator of the VCL system."),

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
In .ht-inc/conf.php, have you, by any chance, changed DEFAULT_AFFILID? (It should be '1' and it should correspond to the local affiliation id).

Also, have you possibly removed the "Local Account" entry in the $authMechs array? (You should have an entry with type => local and affiliationid => 1).

Some time ago, I wrote a perl script for testing access to the remote API. I have put it online here: http://people.apache.org/~acoburn/rpcxml.pl

You will need to modify the script with the correct location of your VCL system, but otherwise, this will allow you to test access to the API from your management node with the vclsystem user. Try using the 'vclsystem' user account with the password specified in /etc/vcl/vcld.conf

-Aaron

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
I looked through the RPC::XML::Client perl module code, and in certain cases the send_request subroutine will return a string on failure, though it appears that the VCL code is expecting the response to always be an object. In those circumstances, the $response->type call will fail. There is clearly some underlying error involved, but I think it is being obscured by the error you are seeing.

What I would recommend is that you temporarily add these lines of code just before line 9121:

use Data::Dumper;
notify($ERRORS{'DEBUG'}, 0, "Testing RPC::XML response: " . Dumper($response));

This will stringify the entire $response object (whatever it actually is) so that you can inspect it. See if that yields anything. It should, at least, give you some clues about what is going on.

Aaron

--
Aaron Coburn
Systems Administrator and Programmer
Academic Technology Services, Amherst College
acoburn@amherst.edu<ma...@amherst.edu>

On Oct 11, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>> wrote:

I finally got around to trying this; remarks in-line below.

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:45:03AM -0400, Aaron Peeler wrote:

I'm not completely sure of the next steps, but I think this has to do
with verifying the hostname of the webserver through the
LWP::UserAgent.

We can try some different options..

One is to go ahead and upgrade to 2.3(what I recommend because of the
improved features)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but... Given the trouble we've had
with our deployment effort up to now, we're extremely reluctant to start
our implementation over again with a new version.  Once we have
something that's working in production, sure, we can start a fresh
effort on a development server with the new code, but this effort is
months behind schedule as it is and I really don't want to roll the
dice right now.

So I chose the less intrusive option:

Or another option is to update utils.pm's xmlrpc_call
1st make a copy of your untouched utils.pm file
cp /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/lib/VCL/utils.pm
/usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/lib/VCL/utils.pm_orig

at line 9114 comment out of utils.pm

The line Should look like
my $cli = RPC::XML::Client->new($XMLRPC_URL);

and replace it with this line:

my $cli = RPC::XML::Client->new($XMLRPC_URL, useragent => ['ssl_opts'
=> {verify_hostname => 0}]);

save and restart vcld process

Hopefully this will help.

The difference in the updating utils.pm option is in the xmlrpc_call
routine is the

After applying this change, I tried again to schedule a block
allocation, and got similar results.  Longer log excerpt below, but the
line that jumps out at me is still this one:

Can't locate object method "type" via package "RPC::XML::Client::send_request:
       HTTP server error: Found" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Found"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121 (#1)
Uncaught exception from user code:
       Can't locate object method "type" via package "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Found" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Found"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121.
at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121

Since my line 9121 might not match up with the stock code any more,
here's the referenced block:

 if ($response->type =~ /fault/){
   notify($ERRORS{'WARNING'}, 0, "fault occured:\n" .
   " Response class = ".(ref $response)."\n".
     " Response type = ".$response->type."\n".
     " Response string = ".$response->as_string."\n".
     " Response value = ".$response->value."\n"
   );
 }

...and here's the longer chunk of vcld.log.  Any more ideas about what
might be going on?  Thanks, -m

2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|utils.pm:rename_vcld_process(7136)|renamed process to 'vcld 15:20 'michael test''
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:initialize(94)|returning 1
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|vcld:make_new_child(565)|VCL::blockrequest object created and initialized
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(158)|blockrequest id: 15
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(159)|blockrequest mode: start
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(160)|blockrequest image id: 114
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(161)|blockrequest number machines: 10
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(162)|blockrequest expire: 2012-10-11 23:59:59
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(163)|blocktime id: 20
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(164)|blocktime processed: 0
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(165)|blocktime start: 2012-10-11 13:00:00
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(166)|owner email: vcl-system@lists.uchicago.edu<ma...@lists.uchicago.edu>
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(167)|help address: vcl-team@lists.uchicago.edu<ma...@lists.uchicago.edu>
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(172)|updated process flag on blocktime_id= 20
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|blockrequest.pm:process(192)|processing blocktime_id= 20 pass 1
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|utils.pm:xmlrpc_call(9105)|argument_string= XMLRPCprocessBlockTime 20 1
Can't locate object method "type" via package "RPC::XML::Client::send_request:
       HTTP server error: Found" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Found"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121 (#1)
Uncaught exception from user code:
       Can't locate object method "type" via package "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Found" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Found"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121.
at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121
       VCL::utils::xmlrpc_call('XMLRPCprocessBlockTime', 20, 1) called at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/blockrequest.pm line 373
       VCL::blockrequest::process_block_time(20) called at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/blockrequest.pm line 193
       VCL::blockrequest::process('VCL::blockrequest=HASH(0x2754050)') called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 568
       VCL::vcld::make_new_child('HASH(0x262d8d0)') called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 448
       VCL::vcld::main() called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 98
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|State.pm:DESTROY(829)|VCL::blockrequest destructor called, address: 2754050
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15179|blockrequest|State.pm:DESTROY(848)|number of database handles state process created: 1
2012-10-11 11:34:06|15050|vcld:REAPER(718)|VCL process exited for reservation <unknown>, PID: 15179, signal: CHLD

Re: Block allocations always fail

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Michael,

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Upgrade+From+Previous+Version+%282.2.1+to+2.3%29

Or another option is to update utils.pm's xmlrpc_call
1st make a copy of your untouched utils.pm file
cp /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/lib/VCL/utils.pm
/usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/lib/VCL/utils.pm_orig

at line 9114 comment out of utils.pm

The line Should look like
my $cli = RPC::XML::Client->new($XMLRPC_URL);

and replace it with this line:

my $cli = RPC::XML::Client->new($XMLRPC_URL, useragent => ['ssl_opts'
=> {verify_hostname => 0}]);

save and restart vcld process

Hopefully this will help.

The difference in the updating utils.pm option is in the xmlrpc_call
routine is the

Upgrading to 2.3 will have faster load times and improved features.

Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Block allocations always fail

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
I've just tried this...

> * Make sure time on management node is correct.

Time is correct.

> * double check the blockRequest table for the given allocation, make
> sure processing is set to 0

It was set to 1, but setting it back to 0 triggered lots of traffic in
the log, see below.

> * make sure the related BlockTimes processing entry in the BlockTimes
> table is set to 0

That was 0.

On the way I uncovered a few more error conditions, involving Perl
libraries that I'd overlooked before, which are now adjusted to call our
purpose-build perl.  But I'm back to the error I was getting before:

 [...]
2012-10-04 13:21:53|21007|blockrequest|utils.pm:xmlrpc_call(9105)|argument_string= XMLRPCprocessBlockTime 19 1
Can't locate object method "type" via package "RPC::XML::Client::send_request:
        HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu:443 (certificate verify failed)" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu:443 (certificate verify failed)"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121 (#1)
Uncaught exception from user code:
        Can't locate object method "type" via package "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu:443 (certificate verify failed)" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu:443 (certificate verify failed)"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121.
 at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121
        VCL::utils::xmlrpc_call('XMLRPCprocessBlockTime', 19, 1) called at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/blockrequest.pm line 373
        VCL::blockrequest::process_block_time(19) called at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/blockrequest.pm line 193
        VCL::blockrequest::process('VCL::blockrequest=HASH(0x102e528)') called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 568
        VCL::vcld::make_new_child('HASH(0x208fe70)') called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 448
        VCL::vcld::main() called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 98
2012-10-04 13:21:53|21007|blockrequest|State.pm:DESTROY(829)|VCL::blockrequest destructor called, address: 102e528
2012-10-04 13:21:53|21007|blockrequest|State.pm:DESTROY(848)|number of database handles state process created: 1
2012-10-04 13:21:53|14005|vcld:REAPER(718)|VCL process exited for reservation <unknown>, PID: 21007, signal: CHLD

So maybe we do have a cert issue.  Could it be that the CA bundle that
VCL uses (wherever that is) doesn't like Comodo/AddTrust?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
Thanks Aaron.

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.

On Oct 4, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>> wrote:

[...]

       HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu<http://vlab.uchicago.edu>:443 (certificate verify failed)" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu<http://vlab.uchicago.edu>:443 (certificate verify failed)"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121 (#1)
Uncaught exception from user code:
       Can't locate object method "type" via package "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu<http://vlab.uchicago.edu>:443 (certificate verify failed)" (perhaps you forgot to load "RPC::XML::Client::send_request: HTTP server error: Can't connect to vlab.uchicago.edu<http://vlab.uchicago.edu>:443 (certificate verify failed)"?) at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121.
at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/utils.pm line 9121
       VCL::utils::xmlrpc_call('XMLRPCprocessBlockTime', 15, 1) called at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/blockrequest.pm line 373
       VCL::blockrequest::process_block_time(15) called at /usr/local/vcl-2.2.1/bin/../lib/VCL/blockrequest.pm line 193
       VCL::blockrequest::process('VCL::blockrequest=HASH(0x358bb68)') called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 568
       VCL::vcld::make_new_child('HASH(0x34740f0)') called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 448
       VCL::vcld::main() called at /usr/local/vcl/bin/vcld line 98
2012-10-04 02:00:02|3322|blockrequest|State.pm:DESTROY(829)|VCL::blockrequest destructor called, address: 358bb68
2012-10-04 02:00:02|3322|blockrequest|State.pm:DESTROY(848)|number of database handles state process created: 1

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>> wrote:
Thanks, Aaron and Josh.

I did have some problems in my vcld.conf; the vclsystem account hadn't
been properly configured.  So that was clearly part of my trouble.

Having fixed that, though, I'm still not getting a successful block
reservation.  Based on Josh's remarks about vcld reserving the slots
"several hours" in advance, I wonder if that's an issue.  In order to
test this in a reasonable amount of time, I've been creating a time slot
a few minutes in the future, which then comes and goes with no activity
in the vcld log except 'lastcheckin' lines.  I also find, in the
database:

mysql> select processed from blockTimes;
+-----------+
| processed |
+-----------+
|         0 |
|         0 |
+-----------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

How far advance do I need to do a block allocation in order for it to

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/VCL+2.3+Management+Node+Installation#VCL2.3ManagementNodeInstallation-Setthevclsystemaccountpasswordforxmlrpcapi

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu<http://pgp.mit.edu>

--
Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu<ma...@uchicago.edu> :: 773-469-9688

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hello Michael,

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
Thanks, Aaron and Josh.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

> [...]

>> close as we can get by assigning rights in the Privileges page).
>>
>> I go to the "Block Allocations" page, click "Create New Block
>> Allocation", fill in the form, choosing a known-working image in
>> the "Environment" dropdown, and a "List of Dates/Times" with one
>> time span in the near future.  "Submit New Block Allocation" pops
>> up a confirmation window, that goes fine, and I have an entry
>> "Block Allocations" page under "Manage Block Allocations".  Looks
>> fine.
>>
>> But, if I click an entry under "Your Active Block Allocations",
>> under "Current status of computers," the number by "Failed" is
>> equal to the number of seats I reserved, and as far as I can tell
>> the system never tries to deploy a VM.
>>
>> I'm guessing that there is some permission setting or some other
>> item within the management node that I've overlooked.  Any hints

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Block allocations always fail

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
Michael,

xmlrpc_url should be something like: https://vcl.myinstitution.edu/index.php?mode=xmlrpccall

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
I would recommend looking at this thread:

http://markmail.org/message/cwt33ptwqrbwteh5#query:+page:1+mid:4ywid347fjat4mxl+state:results

In general, I wouldn't recommend deleting system users like this. The default database setup expects the vclsystem account to have id=3, so when you recreate the record in the database, you may get a different ID. At the very least, this modified ID will conflict with the default setting for $xmlrpcBlockAPIUsers in .ht-inc/conf.php. You will at least need to modify the values of that array to include the ID of your new vclsystem user.

By the way, it is possible but there is no interface for changing local account passwords in 2.2.1 (an interface for this was added for 2.3). If you need to change a password, however, this message describes how to do it:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/vcl-user/201209.mbox/%3C504F39A7.4090807@ncsu.edu%3E

Aaron

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.