Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> on 2013/05/20 14:58:55 UTC

Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Hi there,

Keeping Makefile.am in sync with the actual documentation is a PITA,
and doesn't add any value. In fact, I broke the build over the weekend
by not removing some files from the Makefiles. Instead, we can use
invocations of find to find the relevant files in these cases:

html_files := $(shell find ./html/ -type f -not -wholename "*doctree*"
-not -name ".buildinfo")
image_files := $(shell find ../images/ -type f)
src_files := $(shell find ../src/ -name "*.rst" -or -name "conf.py")
src_files_html := $(shell find ../static/ ../templates/ -type f)

(This would replace the respective lists of files in
share/doc/build/Makefile.am.)

Anyone opposed to that?

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 20 May 2013 22:55, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm torn on this issue.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Wildcards
>>
>> (Please read that whole section.)
>>
>> Summary is:
>>
>>  * Wildcards make it easy to distribute the wrong files (either too many, or
>> too few)
>>
>>  * Wildcards are not portable
>
> Yes, I understand the concerns. On the other hand, I don't think most
> of those concerns apply cleanly to for example a Sphinx project. In
> particular, Sphinx already complains if src files are either missing
> or unused, so you'll get warnings about that. And Sphinx populates the
> build directory from scratch every time, so problems with the HTML
> output also seem fairly unlikely. On the other hand, forgetting to
> update the file lists in the Makefile.am will have no effect on
> building the docs, but will fail make distcheck. To me, at least, in
> this context, DRY a bigger concern to me.
>
> To be fair, portability is a concern. Dave, does the typical Windows
> build environment already have a find tool available to it? (Either
> just some compiled GNU tools or a full Cygwin environment?)

Today you need cygwin (or msys if you are courageous) to build couchdb, so yes.

>> Please also consider that with Benoit's rcouch merge, we're moving away from
>> Autotools entirely (I believe), so we will have the chance to throw off /
>> simplify a lot of this stuff.

I am very much hoping that post rebar (rcouch / bigcouch changes) it
will be possible to build on windows with just erlang, a c compiler,
and rebar. Oh and git, and those packaging tools.   And that special
stuff for spidermonkey. And icu, and curl, and oh well. My idea is to
provide pre-compiled versions of those and make life easy for
everybody. Especially me.

A+
Dave

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On May 21, 2013, at 18:55 , Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> Another way of looking at this is that by moving things to the docs, you're
> putting it behind a "commit bit" wall. That's appropriate in a some
> instances, but not in others.

> The wiki is open to developers, and good for collaboration, coordination,
> sharing resources, drafting things, etc. It's also used as a "noticeboard"
> in a few instances. This is why I think the wiki is better for project /
> community level stuff.

Another another way of looking at this is that we make it accessible to the
GitHub-on-website-fork-and-edit-and-pullrequest instead of the shoddy wiki
that everybody hates and nobody works on because the experience is so abysmal.

Jan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> This could easily go in a git branch of its own
>
> Repositories are cheep... ;)

Yeah, a branch doesn't make much sense to me.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 21 May 2013 19:31, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Always good when that happens.

+1 for migrating the bulk of the technical content to the rst docs,
nice list there Noah.

+1 for a developer manual, I need it too. This could easily go in a
git branch of its own and also be exposed on readthedocs or any other
website people prefer.

This sounds a little like the "move to confluence" thread from a
different perspective!

A+
Dave

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On May 21, 2013, at 19:17 , Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> As someone who contributes to the wiki quite frequently, I'm not sure I
> agree about the experience being horrendous. However, I would like it to be
> easier. But this is one of many considerations.
>
> As I say, we don't need to make any Big Decisions on this. Let's just take
> things step-by-step.
>
> Some good candidates for the docs right away:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Frequently_asked_questions
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Breaking_changes
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Error_messages
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Troubleshooting
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Known_Problems
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ContributorWorkflow
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Running%20CouchDB%20in%20Dev%20Mode
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Source%20Code%20Repository%20Organization
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Merge_Procedure
> http://horicky.blogspot.ie/2008/10/couchdb-implementation.html
>
> And then lots of really obvious stuff like:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Full_text_search
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Adding_Runtime_Statistics
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Tips_%26_Tricks_for_developers
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/couch_edocs
>
> ... And many more.
>
> There is plenty of work here for people to get stuck in to. And I'd like to
> see us move this stuff over first.
>
> (I think because I am worried that we'll make a few new things in the docs,
> forget to update them, and never bother to move the old stuff. I'd like to
> see someone put in the legwork with the existing docs before we start
> talking about new docs.)
>
> For the new stuff we've been talking about. Who we are, how we work, etc,
> etc, let's just stick this on the wiki as part of a drafting process. In
> fact, I would be completely happy with the general idea that the wiki is
> the place where we draft things. And the doc is where we migrate things as
> they mature.

we are saying the same thing.

Jan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
* developer information is _not_ bound to release versions

P.S. I think this is actually quite an important point. Maybe even the most
important point.

--
NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Also...

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.
On May 21, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> I want to start a section in there that is called “The Developer Handbook”.

+1

-Filippo

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Actually, I prefer that project documentation be kept on the wiki.

The docs that we have in the source are the "CouchDB Manual" (as I
have titled it), and I see them as a reference work for CouchDB itself.
Setting it up, configuring it, using it, etc.

I see the wiki as more a place for the project / community to document and
organise itself. Consider that our homepage is a single HTML page. Most of
what we'd usually have on a website was moved to the wiki. So, I'm talking
release process, release calendar, source locations, active releases,
committer election process, PMC election process, and soon, by-laws,
community guides, etc.

I'd like to keep this stuff on the wiki for now.

On 21 May 2013 13:20, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21.05.2013, at 11:37, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> It is all documented here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_Procedure
> >
> > Oh, good. We should definitely pull stuff like that into a developer
> > chapter of the docs, IMO.
>
> Go for it :)
>
> I think we have a rough consensus on moving most of the wiki into the
> docs. Anyone, feel free to act on this!
>
> Jan

NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On May 21, 2013, at 09:33 , Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> My concern is that when you use wildcards, a malicious (or broken) program
>> could add files to the output that are then bundled up, and we end up
>> shipping them in a release. At the moment, every file that we ship has been
>> explcitly included. Having said that, my release procedure is now
>> sufficiently advanced that I can detect missing/extra files, as well as
>> "surprising" content. So I am not sure I need to be as vigilant about this
>> as I used to be...
>
> Your release procedure being advanced sounds like bus factor danger;

> is all of that in the admin-repo, or available somewhere else?

It is all documented here: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_Procedure

> I could
> see myself doing some release management to lighten some of your load.

Woohoo! :)

Jan

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On May 20, 2013 10:56 PM, "Dirkjan Ochtman" <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I'm torn on this issue.
> >
> > See:
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Wildcards
> >
> > (Please read that whole section.)
> >
> > Summary is:
> >
> >  * Wildcards make it easy to distribute the wrong files (either too
many, or
> > too few)
> >
> >  * Wildcards are not portable
>
> Yes, I understand the concerns. On the other hand, I don't think most
> of those concerns apply cleanly to for example a Sphinx project. In
> particular, Sphinx already complains if src files are either missing
> or unused, so you'll get warnings about that. And Sphinx populates the
> build directory from scratch every time, so problems with the HTML
> output also seem fairly unlikely. On the other hand, forgetting to
> update the file lists in the Makefile.am will have no effect on
> building the docs, but will fail make distcheck. To me, at least, in
> this context, DRY a bigger concern to me.
>
> To be fair, portability is a concern. Dave, does the typical Windows
> build environment already have a find tool available to it? (Either
> just some compiled GNU tools or a full Cygwin environment?)
>
> > Please also consider that with Benoit's rcouch merge, we're moving away
from
> > Autotools entirely (I believe), so we will have the chance to throw off
/
> > simplify a lot of this stuff.
>
> Ah, yes. Do we have a time frame for that?

sometime this month but before the next.

- benoit

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I'm torn on this issue.

--
NS

Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On May 20, 2013 2:59 PM, "Dirkjan Ochtman" <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Keeping Makefile.am in sync with the actual documentation is a PITA,
> and doesn't add any value. In fact, I broke the build over the weekend
> by not removing some files from the Makefiles. Instead, we can use
> invocations of find to find the relevant files in these cases:
>
> html_files := $(shell find ./html/ -type f -not -wholename "*doctree*"
> -not -name ".buildinfo")
> image_files := $(shell find ../images/ -type f)
> src_files := $(shell find ../src/ -name "*.rst" -or -name "conf.py")
> src_files_html := $(shell find ../static/ ../templates/ -type f)
>
> (This would replace the respective lists of files in
> share/doc/build/Makefile.am.)
>
> Anyone opposed to that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan