Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Tom-Blank <bl...@rocketmail.com> on 2014/04/10 13:36:25 UTC

Hot deployment using jetty 8 and maven

I'm new to Maven, but would like to achieve a hot deployment while changing
source code (Java).

My environment:
 - Maven 3.2.1
 - JDK: 1.6
 - Jetty 8.1.14.v20131031

What I would like to achieve is: Everytime I change something in my
servlets, Maven picks it up and recompiles these files (if possible only
delta). Then, once it's done it should copy/move the *.class files into the
directory of my webapp. This approach is needed to speed up my development
cycle like I'm used to it from developing in Grails and GGTS.

I'm starting up the application by running:
*mvn clean install war:inplace jetty:run*

And Here is what I have:

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.springapp</groupId>
    <artifactId>jetty-template</artifactId>
    <packaging>war</packaging>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <name>jetty-template</name>

    <properties>
        <spring.version>3.2.0.RELEASE</spring.version>
        <jetty.version>2.2.3E</jetty.version>
    </properties>

    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
            <artifactId>spring-core</artifactId>
            <version>${spring.version}</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
            <artifactId>spring-web</artifactId>
            <version>${spring.version}</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
            <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
            <version>2.5</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>javax.servlet.jsp</groupId>
            <artifactId>jsp-api</artifactId>
            <version>2.1</version>
            <scope>provided</scope>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
            <artifactId>spring-webmvc</artifactId>
            <version>${spring.version}</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
            <artifactId>spring-test</artifactId>
            <version>${spring.version}</version>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>junit</groupId>
            <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
            <version>4.8.2</version>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>

    <build>
        <finalName>jetty-template</finalName>
        <outputDirectory>target/classes</outputDirectory>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
                <artifactId>jetty-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>8.1.14.v20131031</version>
                <configuration>
                    <scanIntervalSeconds>1</scanIntervalSeconds>

<classesDirectory>${basedir}/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes</classesDirectory>
                    <webAppConfig>

<allowDuplicateFragmentNames>true</allowDuplicateFragmentNames>
                    </webAppConfig>
                    <scanTargets>

<scanTarget>src/main/java/com/springapp/mvc</scanTarget>
                        <scanTarget>src/main/webapp/WEB-INF</scanTarget>
                    </scanTargets>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
            <plugin>
                <version>2.4</version>
            </plugin>

            <plugin>
                <version>3.1</version>
                <configuration>
                    <source>1.6</source>
                    <target>1.6</target>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>
</project>

I can see, that maven realizes that files in source folder (src) had been
changed, but does not compile into the directory:
"*/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes*"

I would really appreciate any help. I'm struggling with this issue now for 2
days... :(

Re: Hot deployment using jetty 8 and maven

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi
Not really maven problem :-)

Have a look at a product called jrebel or a free alt
http://ssw.jku.at/dcevm/

I believe this mechanism will be part of the jdk "soon"/one day :-)

--
Olivier

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> monitored by something like Jenkins.  I'd want all those bits anyway.

Agreed... but one step at a time. :)

Wayne

Re: Hot deployment using jetty 8 and maven

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 09:24:31AM -0500, Wayne Fay wrote:
> > However, it would be great to execute "mvn process-classes" automatically
> > anytime maven sees there have been source files changed.
>
> This is just not a feature that Maven natively supports. You can get
> similar functionality out of your IDE. Or maybe your IDE can use an
> "on save" trigger to kick Maven to run process-classes?

If it was mine, I'd check the changes into an SCM, which I'd have
monitored by something like Jenkins.  I'd want all those bits anyway.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Re: Hot deployment using jetty 8 and maven

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > However, it would be great to execute "mvn process-classes" automatically
> > anytime maven sees there have been source files changed.
>
> This is just not a feature that Maven natively supports. You can get
> similar functionality out of your IDE. Or maybe your IDE can use an
> "on save" trigger to kick Maven to run process-classes?

FYI (and AFAICT), Eclipse with M2Eclipse does this automatically (runs
process-resources, and saves compiled sources in Maven's build output
directory)

IDEA can be configured to use the same output directory as Maven too.

Can't tell for other IDEs.

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/ <http://xn--nna.ma.xn--bwa-xxb.je/>

Re: Hot deployment using jetty 8 and maven

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom-Blank <bl...@rocketmail.com>.
Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for the hint. The "mvn process-classes" comes pretty close to
what I need and it does the job by updating the classes directory with new
compiled files.

However, it would be great to execute "mvn process-classes" automatically
anytime maven sees there have been source files changed.

Is it possible to do so?

Re: Hot deployment using jetty 8 and maven

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.
The usual workflow (I think) is to just use "mvn jetty:run" (without any
special configuration besides scanInterval) and have your IDE compile the
classes into target/classes, where the jetty-maven-plugin will look them
up:
http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/jetty-maven-plugin.html
If you don't use an IDE, then use any third-party tool to watch your files
and invoke "mvn process-classes" when they change.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
http://jszip.org/quickstart/index.html

Then just modify some .java files and ask your IDE to compile on demand...
while in a different window you just leave `mvn jszip:run` open and
running. Maven will pick up the .class files and redeploy the webapp. After
a while you may run out of permgen and you might need to restart the mvn
process... but it should be OK for at least 5-10 cycles

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
That is actually what my jszip.org toolchain provides... though I have
neglected it for some time and I don;t think it works with Maven 3.1+
(should work with 3.0.5) and it might not be obvious when reading the docs
that its not just about javascript modules but also about .jar modules
trans-reactor

Maybe someday soon I will get time to give it a refresh for Maven 3.1/3.2