Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jonathan Beer <jb...@texadasoftware.com> on 2006/03/14 17:26:28 UTC

DBAppender + AsyncAppender

I am wondering if in log4j 1.3 there will be an update to address the
problem identified here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-user&m=112490801008769&w=2

I have searched the dev and user forums, and haven't found any response to
this query.

I must apologize, this is my first time trying to post to this list, and I
cannot figure out how to reply to a message.  If somebody could tell me how,
that would be appreciated.  I tried responding to
log4j-user-thread.messageNumber@... where messageNumber = 112490801008769
(from above), but the response said that the message didn't exist in the
archive.  I see nowhere I can simply reply (I found the original message on
MARC), or nowhere it clearly identifies the message id.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Re: DBAppender + AsyncAppender

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Mar 14, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Jonathan Beer wrote:

> I am wondering if in log4j 1.3 there will be an update to address the
> problem identified here:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-user&m=112490801008769&w=2
>
> I have searched the dev and user forums, and haven't found any
> response to
> this query.
>
> I must apologize, this is my first time trying to post to this
> list, and I
> cannot figure out how to reply to a message.  If somebody could
> tell me how,
> that would be appreciated.  I tried responding to
> log4j-user-thread.messageNumber@... where messageNumber =
> 112490801008769
> (from above), but the response said that the message didn't exist
> in the
> archive.  I see nowhere I can simply reply (I found the original
> message on
> MARC), or nowhere it clearly identifies the message id.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

I've been working on AsyncAppender issues for a couple of days now
and expect to commit something in the next few days.  I have had no
success so far in creating unit tests that expose the problems
observed in the source or that have been reported, however I am
trying a new approach.  I have a modified AsyncAppender for log4j 1.3
that hopefully avoids the deadlock issues in the current
AsyncAppender's.  It also adds an option to count and discard
messages that are appended while the buffer is full instead of
blocking the calling thread until the buffer has vacancies (a feature
that we previously discussed on the list).  I'd still like to get a
few more unit tests around it before putting it in the SVN.  That
code is too big of a change for log4j 1.2, but hopefully it will be
helpful in coming up with a reasonable modification to the log4j 1.2
AsyncAppender.

After the known AsyncAppender issues have been fixed, it would be
then good to know if they also appear to fix the problems observed
when using AsyncAppender with the DBAppender.

I'm not sure that MARC supports replying to a message.