Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Sean Hamilton <se...@seanhamilton.co.uk> on 2013/12/02 10:10:17 UTC

Re: Improving SSVM performance

Hey Simon,

Is that done as the systemvm template is being uploaded, or can we edit it
afterwards?

Thanks,
Sean

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Deploying templates - copying from Secondary to Primary Storage - is handled by the Host and not the SSVM

Exporting Templates is handled by the SSVM using its 'Storage Interface' to read from Secondary Storage, and its 'Public Interface' to export it to the logged in user.

Improving deployment times would be best achieved by enabling Jumbo Frames on the Secondary Storage Device and the NIC/Bond/vSwitch on the Host dedicated to Secondary Storage and obviously the networks connecting them (this assumes you are using the Storage Network within CloudStack and hence have dedicated NICs)

There is also a SSVM MTU Global Setting which will also enable Jumbo Frames on the 'Storage Interface' of the SSVM, but this will not change the MTU on the Public Interface which will probably be your bottleneck

So for optimal Deployment, use the CloudStack Storage Network, have dedicated NICs on the Hosts, and use Jumbo Frames.

For optimal Exporting, the Public Network will be your bottleneck, and as this is typically going over the Internet, using Jumbo Frames is not really an option.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
Comments inline.

On 05-Dec-2013, at 10:18 pm, Sean Hamilton <se...@seanhamilton.co.uk> wrote:

> Hey Simon,
>
> Got round to testing this in my lab. Times to complete Export OVF commands
> didn't improve massively:
>
> 10Gb template with SSVM on E1000:               03:21.18 (10GB)
>
> 10Gb  template with SSVM on VMXNET3:          03:17.18 (10GB)
>
> 60Gb  template with SSVM on E1000:      18:32.16 (60GB)
>
> 60Gb  template with SSVM on VMXNET3: 18:12.98 (60GB)
>

> Any other thoughts on how to speed stuff up? Where would the bottleneck
> lie; storage for NFS mount?

Sean,

I suspect you would be limited by your storage IOPS performance
rather than the NIC speed.

If you have the time, can you

(1) Compare raw storage IOPS with NFS IOPS? Bonnie and Iozone are
 good tools to benchmark IO.
(2) Compare network throughput of your SSVM NIC Vs the physical
 hosts NIC? You can use nuttcp for network tests.

Hth.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

Posted by Sean Hamilton <se...@seanhamilton.co.uk>.
Hey Simon,

Posted by Simon Murphy <si...@vifx.co.nz>.