Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tore Dalaker <to...@dalaker.com> on 2002/04/24 16:53:42 UTC

Syntax error on line 329 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:

root@moo:/usr/src/apache_1.3.24# apachectl start
Syntax error on line 329 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'Order', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration
/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
someone know whats wrong? apache has runned on this configfile earlier

328#
329    Order allow,deny
330    Allow from all
331</Directory>

I got this error after a reboot I dunno why and a lot of helpers in
channels like #apache, #slackware on both unet & efnet don't know whats
wrong.
Therefore ill try to mail you guys to check if you maybe know something.
If I block out all lines like line 329 I get the same error on line 330.
I hope you can help me.

Tore Dalaker
No_HeLp @ unet  & efnet

Re: Syntax error on line 329 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Tore Dalaker wrote:

> root@moo:/usr/src/apache_1.3.24# apachectl start
> Syntax error on line 329 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'Order', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
> included in the server configuration

It means what it says: Your server doesn't include the module that
provides the "Order" directive.  Since this module is mod_access, and
mod_access is included by default in every apache distribution that I have
seen, that means that you have a problem with your installation of Apache.

To solve this, do the following:

1. Try "httpd -l".  You will probably see that mod_access is not there,
but mod_so is there, meaning that you are using dynamic modules.

2. Check you modules/ directory to make sure it has mod_access.so.

3. Add a LoadModule line for mod_access in httpd.conf.

While those are the correct instructions, my guess is that you will then
have a problem with a bunch of other modules.  Your best bet is to find
why your httpd.conf doesn't include those things in the first place.  Try
rebuilding apache and use the configuration file that is generated as part
of the build process.

Joshua.

RE: Syntax error on line 329 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:

Posted by Mike Arrison <ar...@gnostech.com>.
Tore,
	Could we have a little more to go on please?  How about the whole Directory
directive for starters?

     -Mike Arrison