Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org> on 2007/10/10 21:40:55 UTC

[suggestion] Change branching instructions to use svnmerge

In preparing for creating a branch for Torsten's threading work, I looked
at our BRANCHING document, and it's associated script build/svn.remerge.

Instead, I'd like to push forward a great svn merge tool, svnmerge[1]

It's nice, simple, and makes managing branches a breeze. I've been
using it at $work, and it's very nice. I am volounteering to update
the BRANCHING document to reflect how to use svnmerge instead, but
for the curious, it's something like:

$ trunk/> svnmerge avail
1234: Added foo bar
1245: Delete baz
$ trunk/> svnmerge merge -r 1234, 1245
$ trunk/> svn ci -m'merged bla bla from branch'
$ trunk/> svnmerge avail
$ trunk/>

It basically keeps track of what has been merged and where, as well as
what's available for merging. I hate to say it, but somewhat like Perforce
for those in the know ;-)

1: http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

Re: [suggestion] Change branching instructions to use svnmerge

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Fred Moyer wrote:

> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>> In preparing for creating a branch for Torsten's threading work, I looked
>> at our BRANCHING document, and it's associated script build/svn.remerge.
>>
>> Instead, I'd like to push forward a great svn merge tool, svnmerge[1]
>
> +1

+1

--
best regards,
Randy

Re: [suggestion] Change branching instructions to use svnmerge

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> In preparing for creating a branch for Torsten's threading work, I looked
> at our BRANCHING document, and it's associated script build/svn.remerge.
>
> Instead, I'd like to push forward a great svn merge tool, svnmerge[1]
>
> It's nice, simple, and makes managing branches a breeze. I've been
> using it at $work, and it's very nice. I am volounteering to update
> the BRANCHING document to reflect how to use svnmerge instead, but
> for the curious, it's something like:
>
> $ trunk/> svnmerge avail
> 1234: Added foo bar
> 1245: Delete baz
> $ trunk/> svnmerge merge -r 1234, 1245
> $ trunk/> svn ci -m'merged bla bla from branch'
> $ trunk/> svnmerge avail
> $ trunk/>
>
> It basically keeps track of what has been merged and where, as well as
> what's available for merging. I hate to say it, but somewhat like Perforce
> for those in the know ;-)
>
> 1: http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

+1

:)