Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2010/06/04 23:31:45 UTC

Using GIT to graft old svn.ofbiz.org history into local git svn clones

The current svn history hosted on svn.apache.org only goes back to
2006.  It's based on a copy of what existed in svn.ofbiz.org.
However, the history itself was not imported.  This is not optimal, as
the old server has history going back to Aug, 2003.

To be able to see this history, the following steps should be done on
any git svn clone.

1: git remote add svn.ofbiz.org http://git.brainfood.com/pub/svn.ofbiz.org
(all on one line)
2: git fetch svn.ofbiz.org
3: git log(whatever your current branch is), and find the commit hash
of the first commit, the one that says it was imported from version
7923 of the previous repository.
4: git log svn.ofbiz.org/master, find the commit hash of revision 7923.
5: echo $hash_from_step_3 $hash_from_step_4 >> .git/info/grafts
6: git log, and note that all the history is now available.

It's interesting to do a diff on the first commit into svn.apache.org.
 It's not completely empty.

If anyone could find a copy of the svn repo that used to exist on
sourceforge, I would see about getting that grafted in to.

ps: if you want to remove that graft file, then you'd need to run 'git
filter-branch', then you can remove the file.

pps: this series of steps is based on
http://lhealy.livejournal.com/11062.html

Re: Using GIT to graft old svn.ofbiz.org history into local git svn clones

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
OK, less appealing, no reliable git-svn so far, I will continue to wait...

Jacques

From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>