Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Geoff Hendrey <gh...@decarta.com> on 2011/03/02 05:38:51 UTC

bug in backport? How to work around?

I am using HBase 0.89.20100924. I get a NullPointerException from
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.hadoopbackport.InputSampler:

     [exec] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException

    [exec]     at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.SequenceFileRecordReader.nextKeyVa
lue(SequenceFileRecordReader.java:67)

     [exec]     at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.hadoopbackport.InputSampler$RandomSamp
ler.getSample(InputSampler.java:219)

     [exec]     at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.hadoopbackport.InputSampler.writeParti
tionFile(InputSampler.java:314)

I saw a post claiming that this is because of a bug in InputSampler in
which initialize has not been called on the SequenceFileRecordReader.
This seems plausible, from looking at the source in
hbase-0.89.20100924-src.tar.gz. Any advice would be appreciated since
this is blocking me from using the TotalOrderingPartitioner.

-geoff

RE: bug in backport? How to work around?

Posted by Geoff Hendrey <gh...@decarta.com>.
I tried 90.1 and it works (no NullPointerException). Thanks!
-g

None that I know of.  The data format is the same.  See
http://hbase.apache.org/book/upgrading.html (but MEMSTORE_SIZE should
be MEMSTORE_FLUSHSIZE and the 16MB should be 16kb with the wanted
value 64MB as per recent discussion on this mailing list).
St.Ack

Re: bug in backport? How to work around?

Posted by Geoff Hendrey <gh...@decarta.com>.
Is there any known risk in upgrading a 0.89 installion to 0.90.1?

-geoff

Did you try comparing 0.90.20100924 to 0.90.1 to see if changes? Does
your hbase have 'HBASE-3392  Update backport of InputSampler to
reflect MAPREDUCE-1820'?  If not, want to apply it -- or just fast
forward your install to 0.90.1?

St.Ack

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.