Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ulrich Drepper <dr...@cygnus.com> on 1999/05/29 00:00:23 UTC

Re: /dev/poll vs. aio_ (was: Re: Proposal: Get rid of most accept mutex)calls on hybrid server.)

"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sc...@redhat.com> writes:

> However, it would be good to see real life profiling on this.

Not without having a really good thread library first or at least
optimizing the aio library.  The way I wrote it is *not* for optimized
performance, but instead for standard compliance.  I will sometime
soon write an optimized version of the library and before this
happened it's kind of pointless to compare the methods for the purpose
of making long-term decisions.

Re: /dev/poll vs. aio_ (was: Re: Proposal: Get rid of most accept mutex)calls on hybrid server.)

Posted by Ulrich Drepper <dr...@cygnus.com>.
"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sc...@redhat.com> writes:

> Amen to that --- we _need_ CLONE_SIGNALS for this.

This is one of the things, yes.  But it would be good to have a few
more things.

Re: /dev/poll vs. aio_ (was: Re: Proposal: Get rid of most accept mutex)calls on hybrid server.)

Posted by "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sc...@redhat.com>.
Hi,

On 28 May 1999 15:00:23 -0700, Ulrich Drepper <dr...@cygnus.com> said:

> "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sc...@redhat.com> writes:
>> However, it would be good to see real life profiling on this.

> Not without having a really good thread library first

Amen to that --- we _need_ CLONE_SIGNALS for this.

> or at least optimizing the aio library.

No, aio_* isn't used in this model: the reads and writes are
non-blocking already, it's just out-of-band activity indicators which we
need.  aio_* is only useful for IO which is otherwise blocking.

--Stephen