Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2016/12/02 16:37:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Merging the FLIP-6 feature branch into the Master branch

Hi all!

I want to start a discussion about merging the FLIP-6 feature branch into
the master branch.

The feature branch implements the following:
  - A new RPC abstraction
  - A new High-Availability Services Abstraction
  - New JobManager / TaskManager / ResourceManager with dynamic slot
allocation
  - Re-designed runners to instantiate them
  - A new MiniCluster

The feature branch still needs quite a bit of work, but it does not
interfere with the current state of the master branch. All new components
are implemented as separate components with separate tests.

The branch builds fully, all tests pass, and when setting up Flink by any
of the means supported in the Master, the same code is used and none of the
feature branch code is active.

At the same time, it becomes harder for the feature branch to chase the
master branch.
Also, the feature branch starts to contain cleanups that are valuable in
the master branch as well, for example around reusable parts like the "high
availability services".

*My suggestion is the following:*

  - Let's merge the feature branch in the near future, i.e., quite soon.

  - When we fork off the "release-1.2" branch, we delete the new components
form that branch. That way we avoid having seemingly dead code in the
source release.

  - The feature branch classes are mostly in some subpackages, so it should
be quite straight forward to remove them.

What do you think about this?

Greetings,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] Merging the FLIP-6 feature branch into the Master branch

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
I agree with Stephan. +1 for merging it after forking 1.2 off and trying to
do this in the near future.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.