Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/08/08 14:54:32 UTC

[mentors] What we must do for the 1st incubator release

Hi, especially, mentors,

Let's assume that the NetBeans 1st code donation is done and that the code
is in Apache Git.

What are then the very next steps that need to be taken to prepare the code
for release.

Can someone point to the specific page outlining in detail the steps that
will then need to be taken, with any specific additional advice/thoughts on
this -- and who specifically from Apache, i.e., I assume our mentors,
though will there also be others, will be there to guide and provide input
to the various steps that will need to be taken?

I think we'll use the Apache NetBeans Wiki to track everything, i.e., to
list all the specific tasks, assign people to work on them, collect open
items, etc.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: [mentors] What we must do for the 1st incubator release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.invalid> wrote:
> 1.) One of the most important steps is to get the IP clearance done.
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ ...

As mentioned there, that form is not for new projects, it does not
apply to code that's donated via a software grant so we don't need to
worry about that.

What's needed is to check that whatever is imported in our repository
is covered by that grant. Hence my insistence earlier to have the
grant specify very precisely what's being donated, ideally that's a
set of archives with their digests included in the grant document.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html and
http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases have info on how to create
releases. Briefly, a release is an archive of source code that we are
allowed to release, with Apache license headers and a few additional
files like LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER which are described in those
pages. Accompanied by digests and signature files.

I think it's useful to document the specifics of the NetBeans release
process early on, we can then review and complete that on an ongoing
basis. See http://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/release-management.html
for example, many ASF projects have similar pages.

I suggest that PPMC members start a draft of such a page and mentors
can review it before creating the first release. Automating as much as
possible is best, of course.

-Bertrand

Re: [mentors] What we must do for the 1st incubator release

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
I guess we could do a script (if the list is machine readable somehow) and then autmatically mark all those files as green.
We of course also need to check if there are still files in the repo which are _not_ contained in this list.

Could probably be done with a bash script, should work fine.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
That's great.