Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Oleg Rosowiecki <or...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/13 15:48:13 UTC

Adding support for libssh as an alternative to libssh2

Hello,

I need to build and run guacamole on RHEL machines. RHEL is dropping
support for libssh2 starting with RHEL 8.x. I thought it would be a good
idea to try adding support for building against libssh. I read the previous
discussion here:

and I understand that there is no compelling reason to migrate to libssh.
However, would adding libssh as a build-/run-time *alternative* be a
valuable exercise? I could give this a try.

Again, my idea is not about migration. libssh2 would still be used as the
default SSH library. This is just about adding libssh as an option. I
reviewed the SSH-related portions of the code and I believe it can be made
library-agnostic (some of it is already).

I'm kindly asking other developers to share their opinions on this.
Thanks,
Oleg

Re: Adding support for libssh as an alternative to libssh2

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 11:48 AM Oleg Rosowiecki <or...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to build and run guacamole on RHEL machines. RHEL is dropping
> support for libssh2 starting with RHEL 8.x. I thought it would be a good
> idea to try adding support for building against libssh. I read the previous
> discussion here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-945
>
> and I understand that there is no compelling reason to migrate to libssh.
> However, would adding libssh as a build-/run-time *alternative* be a
> valuable exercise? I could give this a try.

I would welcome the idea of libssh being an alternative option for SSH
support in Guacamole. If you'd like to take a try at this and submit a pull
request, we can definitely work through the review of that.

Other developers may have other opinions, so they can weigh in, as well,
but personally I think more options are better :-).

-Nick