Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com> on 2003/12/07 03:42:46 UTC

'forrest run' doesn't copy stylesheets

Forrest works great on my Gentoo, Java 1.4.1, Ant 1.5.4 system but when
I try to set it up on my production server (RH 7.3, Java 1.4.2, no Ant),
it doesn't work right.

I committed everything on my box to CVS and then checked it out on the
server.  Then I tried "forrest run" and it mostly works, except that it
can't find my custom stylesheets:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.:
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to get transformer handler
for resources/stylesheets/activities2document.xsl

I can't imagine what could be wrong here.  If you need more info, let me
know where to find it and I'll get it.

--
Marshall Roch

Re: 'forrest run' doesn't copy stylesheets

Posted by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> It should be looking in $project.home/$project.skins-dir but appears to
> only be looking in $project.skins-dir. It would appear that you do not
> have a fully updated version of forrest from CVS. Try running "cvs
> update -dP" and rebuilding forrest with "./build.sh"
>
> Then try "forrest run" again..

My machine no longer finds the custom stylesheets.  I guess the version
I had was old enough to copy custom styles to build/, but new enough to
allow editing xdocs from source.

http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#forrest_run

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
Marshall Roch wrote:
> {project_home}/src/documentation/resources/(grammars|schema|stylesheets)
> {project_home}/src/documentation/skins/(common|myskin)
>
> I had to copy the "common" skin over too, otherwise it got errors trying
> to import.

Yes that is because of relative imports in your custom skin. This is
documented in CVS (but not on the site yet).

> 21:32:19.151 EVENT  ERROR   (2003-12-06) 21:32.19:141   [access  ]
> (/activities/academic.html) PoolThread-4/CocoonServlet: Internal Cocoon
> Problem
> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.:
> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to get transformer handler
> for resources/stylesheets/activities2document.xsl:

It should be looking in $project.home/$project.skins-dir but appears to
only be looking in $project.skins-dir. It would appear that you do not
have a fully updated version of forrest from CVS. Try running "cvs
update -dP" and rebuilding forrest with "./build.sh"

Then try "forrest run" again..

> Also, editing stylesheets on-the-fly does not work while running Forrest
> as a webapp on my machine either.  I have to edit them in build/ and
> copy them back manually

Another symptom of the above.

> (backcopy seems to be missing, even though it's
> still in the manual).

Yes backcopy has been removed in CVS head because of the ability to edit
in src. It's still in the head because the published manual should refer
to 0.5 which was the last release. The manual does need updating in CVS
though, where in the manual does it appear?

Ross

Re: 'forrest run' doesn't copy stylesheets

Posted by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I assume you are working with CVS Head version of Forrest.

Correct.

> In this version you edit xdocs, resources and skins in src so they
> are not copied to the webapp.

And how nice it is... :)

> Where are your skins located? What error message are you seeing in
> the terminal?

{project_home}/src/documentation/resources/(grammars|schema|stylesheets)
{project_home}/src/documentation/skins/(common|myskin)

I had to copy the "common" skin over too, otherwise it got errors trying
to import.

21:32:19.151 EVENT  ERROR   (2003-12-06) 21:32.19:141   [access  ]
(/activities/academic.html) PoolThread-4/CocoonServlet: Internal Cocoon
Problem
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.:
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to get transformer handler
for resources/stylesheets/activities2document.xsl:
org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorException: Exception in
creating Transform Handler
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.processXMLPipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:554)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.processXMLPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:196)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:492)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(SerializeNode.java:147)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:108)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ContainerNode.invoke(ContainerNode.java:66)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.CallNode.invoke(CallNode.java:128)

Also, editing stylesheets on-the-fly does not work while running Forrest
as a webapp on my machine either.  I have to edit them in build/ and
copy them back manually (backcopy seems to be missing, even though it's
still in the manual).

Hope I didn't just add too much stuff to anyone's todo list...

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
Marshall Roch wrote:
>> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.:
>> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to get transformer
>> handler for resources/stylesheets/activities2document.xsl
>

> Oops, I forgot to mention that the entire resources/ directory is
> missing from build/webapp/
>
> "/home/web/build/webapp/resources/stylesheets/activities2document.xsl
> (No such file or directory)"

I assume you are working with CVS Head version of Forrest. In this
version you edit xdocs, resources and skins in src so they are not
copied to the webapp. This is a work in progess and may still need some
bugs ironing out.

Posted by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>.