Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bobi St <te...@yahoo.de> on 2011/07/21 21:58:53 UTC

Tomcat 7: Why is JDK needed ?

Hi there,
why is Why is JDK needed also for Tomcat 7 ? Does it use a compiler, or why not simply using for example jre6 ?!?
I have to install always extra JDK because of it ...
Best regards,

Re: Tomcat 7: Why is JDK needed ?

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
21.07.2011 21:58, Bobi St:

> why is Why is JDK needed also for Tomcat 7 ? Does it use a compiler, or why not simply using for example jre6 ?!?
> I have to install always extra JDK because of it ...

Who says Tomcat needs a JDK?
From
<http://apache.mirror.digionline.de/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.19/RELEASE-NOTES>
| In addition, Tomcat 7.0 uses the Eclipse JDT Java compiler for
| compiling JSP pages.  This means you no longer need to have the
| complete Java Development Kit (JDK) to run Tomcat, but a Java Runtime
| Environment (JRE) is sufficient.  The Eclipse JDT Java compiler is
| bundled with the binary Tomcat distributions.  Tomcat can also be
| configured to use the compiler from the JDK to compile JSPs, or any
| other Java compiler supported by Apache Ant.

Ancient versions of Tomcat did, by default, use the JDK's compiler to
compile JSPs. Therefore, if you wanted Tomcat to compile JSPs on the
fly, a JRE, by default, wasn't enough.
But that was long, long ago and has never been the case for Tomcat 7.

--
Regards
  mks