Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bob McLaughlin <bo...@interknack.com> on 2002/06/24 23:10:27 UTC

-Xmx/-Xms Parameters, Where do they go???

The tomcat users guide states, that to improve performance, more memory can
be allocated to tomcat in:

Modify your JVM memory configuration. Normally the JVM allocates an initial
size for the Java heap and that's it, if you need more then this amount of
memory you will not get it.
Nevertheless, in loaded sites, giving more memory to the JVM improves
Tomcat's performance. You should use command line parameters such
as -Xms/-Xmx/-ms/-mx to set the minimum/maximum size of the Java heap (and
check to see if the performance was improved).

QUESTION:  Where does this command go?  I assume the tomcat.sh or the
startup.sh, but in which part of which one?   Anyone doing this?

Bob

Re: -Xmx/-Xms Parameters, Where do they go???

Posted by David Kavanagh <da...@dotech.com>.
I've added a line in my tomcat.sh that sets the TOMCAT_OPTS variable.
You should really set "-server" since I've seen noticeable improvements
over the "-client" option (which is the default). "-server" must be the
first option. Then, use -Xms and -Xmx to increase your memory
allocation. If you are using 1.3.x, you should look at -XX:NewSize and
-XX:MaxNewSize for much larger mx/ms values. You can find more
information about these at http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/index.html

David