Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jose Correia <jo...@exinet.co.za> on 2000/07/07 08:24:18 UTC

Re: missing org.w3c.dom.DocumentType methods in xerces.jar in Xerces-J-bin.1.1.2.zip

Hi Robert

I also encountered a few problems when compiling with sun's jdk, apparently they
don't sort out dependencies as well as they should. I then got jikes111 compiler
and it works quite nicely. It also has the bonus of being a lot faster that
Sun's compiler.

Cheers
Jose

"Robert E. Newby" wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> FYI, after deleting all previous Xerces downloads, etc. from my system I
> reinstalled the source distribution (from Xerces-J-src.1.1.2.zip) and then
> ran "make jars", which of course resets the javac class path as needed.  The
> results, where DocumentType is concerned, are *the same as before*.
>
> Here is the output from "javap -public org.w3c.dom.DocumentType" on the
> DocumentType.class file created by the "make jars" script:
>
> Compiled from DocumentType.java
> public interface org.w3c.dom.DocumentType extends org.w3c.dom.Node
>     /* ACC_SUPER bit NOT set */
> {
>     public abstract org.w3c.dom.NamedNodeMap getEntities();
>     public abstract java.lang.String getName();
>     public abstract org.w3c.dom.NamedNodeMap getNotations();
> }
>
> This despite the fact that the other three (3) public declarations are
> indeed in the source file.  Go figure!  Of course, the xerces.jar shows the
> same set of public method declarations, and not the others that are in the
> source file.
>
> For what it's worth, I am beginning to suspect that this is some sort of
> obscure JVM issue -- I am running Sun's J2SE JDK/JRE 1.3 FCS (build
> 1.3.0-C), with the Java HotSpot Client, on Windows NT 4 SP6a.  The reason I
> say this is (i) because of the above and (ii) because the other instances of
> xerces.jar that are in different download directories on my system (e.g.,
> the one that ships with Apache ecs, and the one that ships with Apache
> xalan) also are *not* showing anything but those 3 methods listed above when
> I look inside them at the compiled DocumentType class.
>
> I will now stop trying to rectify this on my end, unless you have other
> ideas as to what may be wrong.  (Again, there are no other occurrences of
> org.w3c.dom on my system, anywhere.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob
> --
>
> Robert E. Newby
> Renew Associates
> Java 2 and XML Distributed & Enterprise Contracting
> Bob_Newby@renewassoc.com
> www.renewassoc.com

     ) /^\) ^\/ _)        =_"Positive thinking - a great way  )
     )   /^\/   _)         (_        to face life"             )
     )   _ /  / _)          (        Jose Correia            )
 /\  )/\/ ||  | )_)          (_    jose@exinet.co.za        )
<  >      |(,,) )__)           (   jcorreia@global.co.za    )