Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Jeff Conrad <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/21 17:14:22 UTC

Re: Should .project, .flexLibProperties, and .actionScriptProperties be checked in to source control? (Was: svn commit: r1375263 [1/2] - in /incubator/flex/sdk/branches/develop/frameworks/projects)

Hi Carol,

I think Justin's question was more oriented around what's the best
practice for checking in .project, .flexLibProperties, and
.actionScriptProperties files?  Should they be included in source
control or ignored?

I took a peek at some of the files included and they contain some
important information that would make any potential contributor's job
easy.  For instance, in projects/framework/.actionScriptProperties,
there are a ton of additional compiler arguments that if I had to put
into every project like that, I'd go crazy:

 additionalCompilerArguments="-keep-as3-metadata=Bindable,Managed,ChangeEvent,NonCommittingChangeEvent,Transient
-load-config+=framework-config.xml
--include-file=defaults.css,../defaults.css
-include-file=defaults-3.0.0.css,../defaults-3.0.0.css
-include-file=Assets.swf,../assets/Assets.swf
-include-file=assets/CalendarIcon.png,../assets/CalendarIcon.png
-namespace=library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx,../manifest.xml
-namespace+=http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml,../manifest.xml
-resource-bundle-list=bundles.properties -library-path= -locale="

I'm in favor of either keeping this information in source control.  I
don't want to have to remember all of that to make sure I'm building
the SDK correctly.

I suppose the other question that has to be asked, though, is whether
or not Flash Builder would be making different SWCs than the ant
scripts or where all of that information is included.  It looks like
the ant scripts set the same arguments directly in the build.xml file.

When someone gets time, maybe we can move all those arguments to
framework-config.xml file and have both the .actionScriptProperties
and build.xml file reference those so it's more DRY?  I'll do it
sometime this week, but someone is more than welcome to beat me to it.

Does anyone know if there's a quirk in the compiler that causes
information set in a flex-config.xml file to be ignored by either the
Ant or Flash Builder?  If it's a bug in the compiler, I'll just leave
well enough alone until after Falcon.

Jeff

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Jeff Conrad <je...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think the Flash Builder Project files are going to give
> IntelliJ people any issues.  I wouldn't object to having machine
> neutral IntelliJ files in there as well, as long as the various
> compiler specific information is in a flex-config.xml type file.  That
> way all the various IDEs use that information and people know to look
> at the one specific place to see that configuration and change it if
> necessary.
>
> Is there any reason the compiler config information can't be moved to
> a flex-config.xml type file and still work in Flash Builder and Ant?
>
> Jeff

I don't think the FB project files would cause issues to IntelliJ users, I
just think its messy to include those in source control, its called source
control not source and IDE configuration file control... :P

I can understand not wanting to set those up by hand, I just don't like to
keep those files around. I've never tried making them machine neutral,
IntelliJ or Flash Builder, so I can try to give this a shot for IntelliJ. I
have a Windows machine here I can run tests on.

I still think its messy to keep these files in source control.

-omar

Posted by Jeff Conrad <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jose Barragan Andrade <pe...@me.com>.
-1 too, derived IDE config does nothing here

On Aug 23, 2012, at 12:49 AM, Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

> -1 as well. this does not bring us nothing good...

Jose

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Posted by Ryan Frishberg <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
I just fixed the FB projects that are in frameworks so they can be used
and FB won't barf on them.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Baird <mb...@kairyt.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
> [...]

> Does anyone know if there's a quirk in the compiler that causes
> information set in a flex-config.xml file to be ignored by either the
> Ant or Flash Builder?  If it's a bug in the compiler, I'll just leave
> well enough alone until after Falcon.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> It loos like lots of newlines got introduced but no code changes other
>> than the headers.  I hink I'll rollback the commit and do it again.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing that out.  I usually diff my changes before committing
>> them but I obviously didn't this time.
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> On 8/20/12 6 :12PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Noticed the ".project", ".actionScriptProperties" and
>>> ".flexLibProperties" mark marked as modified. Are they spposed to be

>>> Justin