Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Paul French <pa...@kirona.com> on 2011/09/30 12:22:17 UTC

maven 3.0.3 - performance with version ranges

maven 3.0.3 has terrible performance and memory usage when using version
ranges. This has a knock on effect using m2e

It takes maven ages to update the maven dependencies.

I have a main project with a some version ranged dependencies which in
turn have versioned ranged dependencies. Outside of eclipse it takes
many minutes and considerable memory to get a successful build. Most
time is spent resolving the dependencies.

I have also run maven offline when I know I have all dependencies in my
local repo and it is still very, very slow.

In m2e (and workspace resolution on), you can check out a dependency
that is very simple and this triggers a re-build of the main project.
The same happens when you delete the dependent project or make pom
version changes to it. So in eclipse this becomes really tedious
especially if you have 4 or 5 related projects checked out. You end up
sitting and waiting for your workspace to be re-built all the time.

I understand what maven is doing but I do believe it could be done a lot
better when resolving version ranges.

I also know maven 3.0.3 uses aether 1.11 to so its dependency management.

I'm really keen to try and find a solution. aether 1.12 has been
released. Is there anyway I can hook this into maven 3.0.3

Does aether 1.12 solve

Is there a pre-release of maven 3.0.4 out there yet that I can try and
does it use aether 1.12 ?

Thanks
Paul

Re: maven 3.0.3 - performance with version ranges

Posted by Tommy Chheng <to...@gmail.com>.
+1 for using aether >1.12, this reduced 2:00 compile time to ~45 seconds.

@tommychheng
http://tommy.chheng.com

Re: maven 3.0.3 - performance with version ranges

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.

Posted by "Thiebaud, Christophe" <ch...@sap.com>.
FYI, You can tell maven 3.0.3 to work with aether 1.13 (I think this is the latest release) just by dropping aether jars in $MAVEN_HOME/lib/ext. They should take precedence over the aether 1.11 bundled with maven in $MAVEN_HOME/lib.
I did that with aether 1.12 and there was no issue, at least for my projects.
Christophe

Re: [m2e-users] maven 3.0.3 - performance with version ranges

Posted by Paul French <pa...@kirona.com>.
wow!

Dropped in aether 1.13 into apache maven lib/ext (so patched applied
external to eclipse) and also updated the m2e embedded runtime plugin
org.eclipse.m2e.maven.runtime_1.0.1.201106291304  (as a quick test) and
now as an example a build that took 1 minute 43 secs now only takes 5
seconds.

Will build our own embedded runtime as instructed below now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Any ideas when an official maven 3.0.4 release will happen as well as an
official maven 3.0.4 embedded runtime m2e connector ?

Paul French
Kirona Solutions Ltd
Tel: 07803 122 058
E-Mail: paul.french@kirona.com
Web: www.kirona.com <http://www.kirona.com>

This email and any attachments are confidential and should only be read
by those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact us on 01625 585511, delete the email
(including any attachment) from your computer and destroy any copies.
Any distribution or copying without our prior permission is prohibited.
Internet communications are not always secure and may be subject to
delays, non-delivery and unauthorised alterations. Therefore,
information expressed in this message is not given or endorsed by Kirona
Solutions Limited ("Kirona") unless otherwise notified by our duly
authorised representative independent of this message. No warranty is
given that this email (including any attachment) is virus free. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Kirona.

Registered addresses: Kirona Solutions Limited, Barrington House, Heyes
Lane, Alderley Edge, Cheshire. SK9 7LA Registered in England and Wales
No: 04678711