Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Patrick Shea <pa...@ps1.net> on 2010/05/04 21:43:11 UTC

Mavenization of pivot?

Is there any plan to get rid of ant and switch completely to maven? It would be nice to be able to compile easily, produce javadocs and sources jar's.

Patrick

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Patrick Shea <pa...@ps1.net>.
I rest my case...

Patrick

Posted by Robert Piotrowski <rp...@azonic.net>.
"Grow Up" ?    WTF!

The guy who runs the project doesn't want to.  Leave it be.

Seriously, pivot looks like a private club, your primary audience is java
developers and you tell them that ant (10 years old tech) is good enough...

Grow up...

Patrick

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Patrick Shea <pa...@ps1.net>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Patrick Shea <pa...@ps1.net>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Patrick Shea <pa...@ps1.net>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all,
I've just set in JIRA a patch for the maven-deploy.sh script that let
Greg / Todd publish Pivot artifacts to a local managed maven
repository. I don't have the real environment but my in tests all
works, so if someone can try it tell me so I can commit the fix  and
maybe in a few days we could have the real jars in the main maven
repository.

Thanks to all.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Michael Allman <ms...@allman.ms>.
Oh that's cool.  Thanks for the help.

Michael

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,
yes, sorry for the delay, it's my fault ... I'm (slowly) updating some UNIX
scripts that let Greg or Todd publish all the Pivot artifacts to a Maven
Repository synchronized with the Main Repository (I had to create a similar
environment in a VM, and this took some time).
I hope until the end of the week to finish the changes, and ask Greg/Todd to
use it to publish artifacts in a few time.

At the moment I'm using Pivot jars deployed in a local maven repository from
the 1.5 source distribution (copied to the local repository with the
dedicated ant task in our build file), but I know it's not the best ...

I'll tell you as soon as possible.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Michael Allman <ms...@allman.ms>.
Sandro,

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Dirk Möbius <dm...@scoop-gmbh.de>.
I use Maven for 4 years now in a big enterprise project with ~200.000
loc, ~10-15 team members. Almost all of the developers would like to
switch back to Ant again, if we'd only had the time. I have used Maven
in other projects now and then, big or small. I usually don't use
strong terms such as "hate" when I describe projects or technologies,
but when I do my opinion is well-founded. I see the benefits of having
Maven for a small project such as Pivot, but I also see its
deficiencies, which are:

- cannot build the first time without having a broadband internet connection
- build suddenly breaks because someone put up a new artifact version
on the central repository (yes, this still happens, especially with
Maven's own dependencies. I am not talking about the teething troubles
back from Maven 1.0)
- build suddenly breaks because you are only using a new Maven minor
revision (2.0.9 instead of 2.0.8 for example) ==> forces every Pivot
user to use exactly the same Maven revision.
- consequence: as soon as the project gets bigger you better set up
your own private repository (admittedly not needed for Pivot)
- difficult to differentiate between transitive and non-transitive
runtime dependencies. Declaration for this seems to change every major
Maven release (1.x, 2.0, 2.2)
- surefire error reporting is poor if a test fails
- simple 'mvn clean' takes 1 minute on our 20 subprojects referenced
from the master pom, where otherwise it would just be 'rm -rf target/*'
- code coverage runs tests twice (or, if you want them to run only
once, the tests are no longer run in the 'test' phase)
- security issues: you'll have to trust all developers with write
access to ibiblio (thousands). It's easy to put up a poisioned
artifact, because checksums are kept in the same repository, in the
same location.
- have to explain every two weeks to a newbie how to set up Maven so
it works behind a corporate firewall
- Maven is a memory hog
- Maven downloads the internet

My apologies for using that emotional hate term without delivering a
proper explanation; it surely didn't help to avoid a flame war. But
your comments were no help either.

Regards,
Dirk.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Patrick Shea <pa...@ps1.net>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Christopher Brind <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Dirk Moebius <dm...@scoop-gmbh.de>.
Thank god - I hate maven.

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Patrick Shea <pa...@ps1.net>.
Any interest? I'm surprise that's not one of the requirement at Apache.

You already have the basic poms, I can easily add to them what's needed to compile/test/install without affecting the current directory structure.

At least someone can do a svn co/mvn install out of the box.

Patrick

Re: Mavenization of pivot?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
No plans to switch to Maven.