Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by James Mason <ma...@apache.org> on 2004/08/13 17:59:26 UTC

[VOTE] Nightly Builds

Note: This is a multipart vote in some-sort-of format.

There has been some discussion on the list lately about nightly builds.
It looks like there are some facilities for nightly builds on
brutus.apache.org that we could request. We could also handle nightly
builds ourselves. I can volunteer to run them from home, but they would
be (mostly) nightly builds, since I don't always leave my computer on
overnight.

So here are the questions for consideration:

1) Do we want/need nightly builds?

2) Do we want to request builds on brutus or setup something ourselves?

-James

Re: [VOTE] Nightly Builds

Posted by Jacob Lund <jl...@qualiware.net>.
1)
I think that nightly builds enables "normal" users to test changes/fixes
before beta/rc.

2)
I do believe that automated builds are the correct way to go. Nightly builds
should not rely on one person - that would not be fair to this person even
though James offered to do this.

/jacob

Re: [VOTE] Nightly Builds

Posted by Stefan Lützkendorf <lu...@apache.org>.
James Mason wrote:
> Note: This is a multipart vote in some-sort-of format.
>
> There has been some discussion on the list lately about nightly builds.
> It looks like there are some facilities for nightly builds on
> brutus.apache.org that we could request. We could also handle nightly
> builds ourselves. I can volunteer to run them from home, but they would
> be (mostly) nightly builds, since I don't always leave my computer on
> overnight.
>
> So here are the questions for consideration:
>
> 1) Do we want/need nightly builds?
+1, this could reduce the time users can test our fixes, and so we get a
quicker response.

> 2) Do we want to request builds on brutus or setup something ourselves?
If there is anything that works, we should use it. +1 for brutus.

Re: [VOTE] Nightly Builds

Posted by Davide Savazzi <da...@corefandango.net>.
On Friday 13 August 2004 17:59, James Mason wrote:

> 1) Do we want/need nightly builds?

+1

> 2) Do we want to request builds on brutus or setup something ourselves?

+1 for brutus. But I can also setup a cron job on my linux box at home :)

--
Davide Savazzi