Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2008/08/08 08:49:59 UTC

Directory structure

I would like to propose a few change directory locations for PDFBox's
sources:

root
  examples
    java (<-- moved here from org.pdfbox.examples [1])
  src
    java (containing basic Java 1.4 compatible sources)
    java-1.5 (containing additional features available with Java 1.5)
  test
    java (test code split from main source tree)
    resources (what's currently in the test directory)

[1] I'd prefer keeping example code separate from the actual library.
Also makes the JAR just a bit smaller (as a nice side-effect).

I'd volunteer to do the necessary changes.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Directory structure

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any objections? If none, I'll make the moves later today.

As you probably noticed, I've now updated the layout of the source
directories. We now have:

    src/main/java/org/pdfbox/...
    src/main/resources/Resources/...
    src/test/java/test/pdfbox/...

Please update your checkouts before making local modifications to
avoid nasty merge conflicts.

If you already have local modifications, use "svn diff" to make a
patch of them, cleanup and update your tree with "svn revert -R .; svn
update", and finally apply the patch back to the updated directory
layout.

Still remaining:

Move test data from ./test to ./src/test/resources.
Move website data from ./website to ./src/site.

PS. I'd like to go forward with the org.pdfbox -> org.apache.pdfbox
renaming now that I'm already moving things around.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Directory structure

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> The Maven layout is just fine. +1

OK, cool.

Re: Directory structure

Posted by Philipp Koch <ph...@day.com>.
i like the maven layout. + 1

regards,
philipp

Re: Directory structure

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
The Maven layout is just fine. +1

On 11.08.2008 12:52:40 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> > I would like to propose a few change directory locations for PDFBox's
> > sources:
>
> If we're changing the directory layout, then I would recommend
> adopting the standard directory layout from Maven [1]. It's widely
> known, well documented, and familiar to an ever increasing number of
> developers, so even with Ant as the build system I think it makes
> sense to adopt Maven conventions.
>
> For PDFBox the main parts would be:
>
>     src/main/java (the org.pdfbox sources from the current main source tree)
>     src/main/resources (the current Resources tree)
>     src/test/java (the tests from the current main source tree)
>     src/site (the current website tree)
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting