Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2003/12/14 20:59:02 UTC

multiproject:site and project interdependencies (gather fails)

Here is my scenario: I'm trying to run multiproject:site on a collection
of mavenized projects in which some projects depend upon others. The
multiproject plugin sorts them correctly in order of dependency, but
then launches into some sort of gathering process (specified in the
multiproject:site-init goal of the multiproject plugin)...which promptly
breaks, since these projects have not yet been compiled. When I run
multiproject:install, everything is fine. By reading the multiproject
plugin's plugin.jelly file a little bit, I assume the point is to create
a collection of project objects for future use, to avoid having to
re-collect them over and over.

Is there any way to avoid this problem?  Should I add a bug to JIRA and
begin finding a solution?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Regards,
John Casey

Re: multiproject:site and project interdependencies (gather fails)

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Sorry, wrong list!!!

I'm cross-posting to the correct list...

-john

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Sorry, wrong list!!!

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 23:33, John Casey wrote:
> Um, yeah...I guess I actually don't have access to do the
> assignment...guess you must've been talking to Brett.
>
> -j

"Are you talkin' to me?"

Yes, I was talking to you. Wasn't aware that you couldn't change the
assignment.

Anyway, I figured I would try to harness your JFDI attitude and if you
feel like doing a little work on the reactor then the first thing to do
is decouple it from Jelly. Just make it a class then we can wrap in in a
Jelly tag. This way we can test it thoroughly without requiring any
Jelly voodoo. I can then eventually use this class in the new maven
stuff as it will be well tested. Once that's done we can easily add the
stuff you want :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: multiproject:site and project interdependencies (gather fails)

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 21:33, John Casey wrote:
> I'll see what I can do. :) What's Wagon, if you don't mind my asking?
>
> -john

Start eating your MavenBlogs wheaties :-)

http://www.mavenblogs.org/

I think it's the second entry there atm.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 00:19, John Casey wrote:
> I contributed a patch for the reactor (along with the multiproject
> plugin) to do precisely that, at least in the case of the reactor tag
> execution...I'm not sure how to push it further into the maven core. I'm
> sure it would go into the plugin manager, I'm just not confident enough
> about the potential use cases to make this patch. Have a look at
> MAVEN-1082 and MPMULTIPROJECT-16 for details.

Assign it to me if you haven't already. I take a special interest in the
reactor and I'm going to make it a separate component and unbind it from
Jelly. Something I will tackle after integrating Wagon with the
maven-project component.

> -john
>
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 00:20, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > This extends beyond multiproject.
> >
> > Maven needs the ability to load a project without satisfying all it's
> > dependencies.
> >
> > This would allow the reactor to happily succeed as well.
> >
> > Let's *NOT* make it the default, instead, just a configurable property
> > with good error messages.
> > --
> > dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> > Blog:      http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/dion/
> >

> > John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> wrote on 15/12/2003 06:59:02 AM:
> >
> > > Here is my scenario: I'm trying to run multiproject:site on a collection
> > > of mavenized projects in which some projects depend upon others. The
> > > multiproject plugin sorts them correctly in order of dependency, but
> > > then launches into some sort of gathering process (specified in the
> > > multiproject:site-init goal of the multiproject plugin)...which promptly
> > > breaks, since these projects have not yet been compiled. When I run
> > > multiproject:install, everything is fine. By reading the multiproject
> > > plugin's plugin.jelly file a little bit, I assume the point is to create
> > > a collection of project objects for future use, to avoid having to
> > > re-collect them over and over.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to avoid this problem?  Should I add a bug to JIRA and
> > > begin finding a solution?
> > >
> > > I appreciate any advice anyone can give.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John Casey

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: multiproject:site and project interdependencies (gather fails)

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.