Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mike Brenner <mi...@mitre.org> on 2007/06/12 19:10:56 UTC

Re: Restriction on deletion of files from Subversion

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Sorry for replying to myself here, but did I miss what has been going
> on?  Have different people _already_ removed and replaced this file so
> your edited version and it's pristine .svn copy  no longer has a history
>  in the repostory - which now sees an unrelated replacement? If that's
> the case I see why you think you can't merge, but the only solution is
> for everyone to stop doing that.

Hi Les,

Yes, on Monday only the first person coming in
can merge their changes into the repository.
The rest of the people would like to update
but cannot because they would be out of date.

Telling us to "stop doing that" is not the
complete answer, because sometimes there are
reasons not to take the whole repository home,
yet there are reasons to take certain files home
to work on them.

So, a suggestion for a far distant change to subversion
might be to isolate the MERGE process from the
"current version" process, to allow multiple merges
into a single version like this. Or perhaps to find
some EXTERNAL TOOL to do the multiple merges and
then just check in the final result after the last
weekend warrior finishes their EXTERNAL TOOL merge?

Does anyone know of such an EXTERNAL TOOL?

Mike Brenner

Re: Restriction on deletion of files from Subversion

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 21:10, Mike Brenner wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> OK, so they copy it out of their own working copy from work.  Better
> >> yet, they take the whole working copy.  What are they taking it home
> >> on?   You can get 120gig external USB drives that fit in your pocket
> >> these days and run on the USB power.  The point is that if you didn't
> >> bring the whole working copy along you put the modified files back
> >> where they belong in the wc so it is just the same as if you had
> >> completed the edit there.

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> What does taking the file home have to do with this? When you get an
> >> out of date error it means you need to update.  The merge happens in
> >> your wc and then you commit the result. If you get a 'C' status you
> >> have to clean it up by hand. The same thing should happen with local
> >> edits to the same file.
>
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Sorry for replying to myself here, but did I miss what has been going
> > on?  Have different people _already_ removed and replaced this file so
> > your edited version and it's pristine .svn copy  no longer has a history
> >  in the repostory - which now sees an unrelated replacement? If that's
> > the case I see why you think you can't merge, but the only solution is
> > for everyone to stop doing that.

Mike, I'll be picking on your language because it makes some thing a bit
fuzzy, the distinction between 'update' and 'merge' in the context of
Subversion - don't take it personally.

> Yes, on Monday only the first person coming in
> can merge their changes into the repository.

"...commit their changes..." Their WC's revision number is the repository's
revision number so they can 'svn commit' their changes.

> The rest of the people would like to update
> but cannot because they would be out of date.

"...would like to commit their changes, but cannot because they would be out
of date." Yes, because their changes are based on an old version of the
repository. The simple remedy is to update the WC, i.e. invoke 'svn update'.

> Telling us to "stop doing that" is not the
> complete answer, because sometimes there are
> reasons not to take the whole repository home,
> yet there are reasons to take certain files home
> to work on them.

No problem with that. Firstly, you could restrict your WC to just a single
directory. If that still is too much, you need to manually copy single from
your WC to e.g. your portable memory and then manually copy them back. After
that, it is as if you made your modifications directly in the working copy,
but that is exactly what Les Mikesell already proposed...

I'm still thinking you're doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what that
is. Are you perhaps sharing a WC between different developers? That would be
one case where Subversion can't help you coordinate changes, because they
happen on a filesystem level where it has no influence.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Ronald Boers, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: Restriction on deletion of files from Subversion

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 20, 2007, at 05:03, <ma...@wipro.com>
<ma...@wipro.com> wrote:

> Can you please help me?? I want to restrict the deletion of files from
> our Subversion so that only Admin can delete files.We are currenly
> working with a team where most of the team mates are not very familiar
> with the system and most of the time they are deleting the files
> unintentionally.Its very important for me to stop them from doing
> this.I
> have to give them write access as they are working on those
> files.Please
> give me a solution and tell me how to modify the hook files for this.I
> am not at all familiar with the Hook files in Subversion.

I believe you can use the "svnperms.py" Python script for this. You
call the script from the pre-commit hook. The script is included in
the Subversion source distribution and comes with an example
configuration file. I can't provide more help than that because I
haven't used it myself.

You could also write your own pre-commit script. The logic would be
along the lines of:

- Get the list of items changed by running "svnlook changed $REPOS -t
$TXN"
- If any line begins with the letter D (for Delete), print something
to stderr and exit with a nonzero code

Oh yes, and:

- Do this only if the user isn't one of your designated admins. You
can see who the user is by running "svnlook propget --revprop $REPOS -
t $TXN svn:author"

RE: Restriction on deletion of files from Subversion

Posted by ma...@wipro.com.
Thanks for the prompt reply.I have found that file.But now I don't know
how to call the svnperms.py file from pre-commit hook scripts.Can you
please help me regarding this?

> Can you please help me?? I want to restrict the deletion of files from

> our Subversion so that only Admin can delete files.We are currenly
> working with a team where most of the team mates are not very familiar

> with the system and most of the time they are deleting the files
> unintentionally.Its very important for me to stop them from doing
> this.I have to give them write access as they are working on those
> files.Please give me a solution and tell me how to modify the hook
> files for this.I am not at all familiar with the Hook files in
Subversion.

You can use the svnperms.py pre-commit hook script which is in the
subversion repository at
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/

HTH,

Erik.

www.wipro.com

Show the list of people who have checked out files from svn

Posted by ma...@wipro.com.

Hi,

 Is it possible to get the list of all the people who have checked out
the files from Toroise SVN?

 With Regards,
 Maitrayee

www.wipro.com

Re: Show the list of people who have checked out files from svn

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@smartgames.ca>.
On 29-Jun-07, at 2:07 PM, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>> Is it possible to get the list of all the people who have
>> checked out the files from Toroise SVN?
>
> I don't think so, at least, not in general.
>
> If you're using Apache, it might be possible to grovel the apache logs
> and infer checkouts from the entries in there, but I've never tried
> that.

(Assuming authentication) that will certainly tell you who, and when.

--Toby

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 29, 2007, at 12:07, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

> maitrayee bhowmick writes:
>
>> Is it possible to get the list of all the people who have
>> checked out the files from Toroise SVN?
>
> I don't think so, at least, not in general.
>
> If you're using Apache, it might be possible to grovel the apache logs
> and infer checkouts from the entries in there, but I've never tried
> that.
>
> But if you're using any other access method, I think you're out of
> luck.
>
> I hope I'm wrong.

svnserve doesn't have a log of any kind, so you're right, you need to
serve with apache if you want to know this information.

Since Subversion 1.3 there's a special Subversion access log format
you can use to get a high-level overview of what people are doing
with your repository, including checking out. See the release notes
for instructions:

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html#dav-logging

If you're looking for something more like a post-checkout hook, then
you're in luck, because I wrote a script to give you that:

http://www.ryandesign.com/svnhookdispatcher/

Re: Show the list of people who have checked out files from svn

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 6/20/07, maitrayee.bhowmick@wipro.com <ma...@wipro.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you please help me?? I want to restrict the deletion of files from
> our Subversion so that only Admin can delete files.We are currenly
> working with a team where most of the team mates are not very familiar
> with the system and most of the time they are deleting the files
> unintentionally.Its very important for me to stop them from doing this.I
> have to give them write access as they are working on those files.Please
> give me a solution and tell me how to modify the hook files for this.I
> am not at all familiar with the Hook files in Subversion.

You can use the svnperms.py pre-commit hook script which is in the
subversion repository at
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/

HTH,

Erik.

RE: Restriction on deletion of files from Subversion

Posted by ma...@wipro.com.
Hi,

Can you please help me?? I want to restrict the deletion of files from
our Subversion so that only Admin can delete files.We are currenly
working with a team where most of the team mates are not very familiar
with the system and most of the time they are deleting the files
unintentionally.Its very important for me to stop them from doing this.I
have to give them write access as they are working on those files.Please
give me a solution and tell me how to modify the hook files for this.I
am not at all familiar with the Hook files in Subversion.

Thanks,
Maitrayee

RE: Re: Restriction on deletion of files from Subversion

Posted by Luke Mason <lm...@oasisasset.com.au>.
 beyond compare by scooter software is very nice (on windows)

On Jun 12, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Mike Brenner wrote:
> So, a suggestion for a far distant change to subversion might be to
> isolate the MERGE process from the "current version" process, to allow

> multiple merges into a single version like this. Or perhaps to find
> some EXTERNAL TOOL to do the multiple merges and then just check in
> the final result after the last weekend warrior finishes their
> EXTERNAL TOOL merge?
>
> Does anyone know of such an EXTERNAL TOOL?

I've heard WinMerge is good.  Xcode has FileMerge.app (under /
Developer/Applications/Utilities).  Not sure on *nix, but the more
hardcore among us could probably get by with diff, patch and a text
editor.
-Mat

"This email is intended for the named recipient only. The information contained in this message may be confidential, or commercially sensitive. If you are not the intended recipient you must not reproduce or distribute any part of this email, disclose its contents to any other party, or take any action in reliance on it, or in reference to it. If you have received this email in error, would you please contact the sender immediately and delete/destroy all copies of this message, both electronic and otherwise. It is the recipient's duty to virus scan and otherwise test the enclosed information before using the information or loading attached files onto any computer system. Oasis Asset Management Ltd does not warrant that the information contained in this e-mail is free from viruses, defects, errors, interception or interference. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where that sender specifically states them to be the views of Oasis Asset Management Ltd."

Re: Restriction on deletion of files from Subversion

Posted by Mat Schaffer <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shirish Jain <li...@getafix.net>.

> So, a suggestion for a far distant change to subversion
> might be to isolate the MERGE process from the
> "current version" process, to allow multiple merges
> into a single version like this. Or perhaps to find
> some EXTERNAL TOOL to do the multiple merges and
> then just check in the final result after the last
> weekend warrior finishes their EXTERNAL TOOL merge?
>
> Does anyone know of such an EXTERNAL TOOL?
>
> Mike Brenner

kdiff3? http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/
works on Linux/Windows/Mac! Integrates with TortoiseSVN as well.

regards,
Shirish