Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by av...@agency.com on 2001/09/12 23:32:48 UTC

PCL Problems on HP Deskjet 400

Question - I am testing a PCL generated file on an HP DeskJet 400 Printer,
circa 1995 with Windows 95.  I am seeing rather funky behavior, with the
headers and footers being messed up (it looks like a few of the lines were
written and then written over - perhaps a page break issue in our XSL)- our
XSL is quite heavy and complex, so I am not sure where to start.  I am
wondering if I need to take the approach of looking at our XSL and seeing
where it can be tuned or tweaked to change this behavior, or do I need to go
to the PCL itself?  I'm wondering if someone could nudge me in a certain
direction?

The output looks fairly decent on an HP8000 or HP820.  I called HP and they
weren't much help.

Thanks for any help or input,

Tony

Re: PCL Problems on HP Deskjet 400

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Hi

I don't know much about PCL, but I know this: PCL laser printers usually
build a whole page in memory and then print it to paper. They normally
have a decent amount of memory. Especially older ink jet printers like
yours only have a small buffer, so the page has to be delivered in bands
(I think). That's probably what causes your problems. Maybe the PCL
renderer would have to be changed so it can output a page as a sequence
of bands. To visualize, see here:

+---------+
| Band 1  |
+---------+
| Band 2  |
+---------+
| Band 4  |
+---------+
| etc.    |
+---------+
|         |
+---------+

I think this is really what messes up your headers and footers.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:32:48 -0400 avespa wrote:

> Question - I am testing a PCL generated file on an HP DeskJet 400 Printer,
> circa 1995 with Windows 95.  I am seeing rather funky behavior, with the
> headers and footers being messed up (it looks like a few of the lines were
> written and then written over - perhaps a page break issue in our XSL)- our
> XSL is quite heavy and complex, so I am not sure where to start.  I am
> wondering if I need to take the approach of looking at our XSL and seeing
> where it can be tuned or tweaked to change this behavior, or do I need to go
> to the PCL itself?  I'm wondering if someone could nudge me in a certain
> direction?
>
> The output looks fairly decent on an HP8000 or HP820.  I called HP and they
> weren't much help.
>
> Thanks for any help or input,
>
> Tony

Freundliche Grüsse
OUTLINE AG
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch