Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by sumit goyal <su...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/07 04:23:50 UTC

[#DIRAPI-9]Build CLI wrapper around the API

Hello All,

I have started work on this
JIRA<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-9>.
Wanted to share the design approach I have decided to take.

*Description of bug for the lazy ones :)*
it would be nice to have some basic command line interface around the API.
- ldapsearch
- ldapadd
- ldapmodify
- ldapdelete

*Approach*
 -  Pass on the command line parameters to a Java file.
 - The Java program would do all the validations/executions.
 - We will use the ldap API to perform the requested operations.

This way we can re-use same code on all platforms, and maintenance would be
less. Please share your feedback on the approach. I have started the coding
part now.

Thanks
Sumit

Re: [#DIRAPI-9]Build CLI wrapper around the API

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/7/10 4:23 AM, sumit goyal wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have started work on this
> JIRA<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-9>.
> Wanted to share the design approach I have decided to take.
>
> *Description of bug for the lazy ones :)*
> it would be nice to have some basic command line interface around the API.
> - ldapsearch
> - ldapadd
> - ldapmodify
> - ldapdelete
>
> *Approach*
>   -  Pass on the command line parameters to a Java file.
>   - The Java program would do all the validations/executions.
>   - We will use the ldap API to perform the requested operations.
>
> This way we can re-use same code on all platforms, and maintenance would be
> less. Please share your feedback on the approach. I have started the coding
> part now.
>
> Thanks
> Sumit

Sounds good. You probably can post your design approach as a comment in
the JIRA, so that we can have a full history about it when opening the JIRA.

Also you may have a look at some old code we produced 4 years ago that
may help you :
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/clients/trunk/ldap/src/main/java/org/apache/ldap/clients/

It's JNDI based, but the logic should not change a lot.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com