Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/24 23:20:23 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache parent 8, Maven Parent 18, apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3

Hi,

Included in this staging repo are:
apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor - 1.0.3
  Added support for projects to (optionally) create source zip and tar
bundles.
apache parent - 8
  Consumed apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3
  Upgraded version of the gpg plugin to 1.1

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/trunk/asf/pom.xml?r1=1037038&r2=1038247

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/trunk/asf/pom.xml?r1=944805&r2=1036989
maven parent - 18
  Consumed apache parent 8

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/maven_promotion-008/

Staging site:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache parent 8, Maven Parent 18, apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1 apache parent
+1 maven parent
+1 to the resources change

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache parent 8, Maven Parent 18, apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
+1

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Brian Demers wrote:

> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/maven_promotion-008/

+1

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache parent 8, Maven Parent 18, apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Hervé

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Nov 24, 2010, at 10:51 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2010, at 6:19 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

>>> I would say they can't. You potentially destabilize someone's environment entirely. We don't have the best track record for making sure things work, the WAR plugin is a recent case in point. If there are betas, maybe on a case by case basis. If there are actually alpha plugins in there then -1.
>>
>> Let's put it in context...
>>
>> The betas are:
>> - assembly plugin 2.2-beta-5 (was in beta before)
>> - site plugin 3.0-beta-3 (only in maven 3 profile, no alternative)
>> - enforcer plugin 1.0-beta-1 (very stable version).
>> - release plugin 2.0-beta-9.
>>
>> There's been nothing upgraded to a beta - they were there already.
>>
>> assembly 2.2 and enforcer 1.0 were released recently, and the release plugin has been out for ages. They can probably go into the next parent POM release (I've just updated trunk).
>>
>> Beyond that, I agree - let's not use beta-quality code (or better, not ship beta-quality code :)
>>

> Actually, my point was really that if they were good enough to put in the apache parent pom then they almost certainly aren't beta quality code.  Even with the site plugin, now that maven 3 is released whatever is available is all there is so it might as well be released.
>
> BTW - the gpg plugin was also a beta in 7 so at least there is one less in this release.

Agreed. They should all be released, and then no subsequent alphas or betas.

> Ralph

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache parent 8, Maven Parent 18, apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Nov 24, 2010, at 9:19 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 25/11/2010, at 12:12 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> On Nov 24, 2010, at 5:44 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not against any of the changes you made and it is my fault for not noticing earlier. As a general rule I don't believe the Apache pom should contain alpha or beta releases.
>>
>> I would say they can't. You potentially destabilize someone's environment entirely. We don't have the best track record for making sure things work, the WAR plugin is a recent case in point. If there are betas, maybe on a case by case basis. If there are actually alpha plugins in there then -1.
>
> Let's put it in context...
>
> The betas are:
> - assembly plugin 2.2-beta-5 (was in beta before)
> - site plugin 3.0-beta-3 (only in maven 3 profile, no alternative)
> - enforcer plugin 1.0-beta-1 (very stable version).
> - release plugin 2.0-beta-9.

The non-Maven 3 stuff should be released. Those things have been in beta for years. But once that is done I believe the policy should stand that the POM that ships and touches almost every Maven user in the world should not have beta or alpha plugins in there.

> There's been nothing upgraded to a beta - they were there already.
>
> assembly 2.2 and enforcer 1.0 were released recently, and the release plugin has been out for ages. They can probably go into the next parent POM release (I've just updated trunk).
>
> Beyond that, I agree - let's not use beta-quality code (or better, not ship beta-quality code :)
>
> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://brettporter.wordpress.com/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache parent 8, Maven Parent 18, apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Nov 24, 2010, at 5:44 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I'm not against any of the changes you made and it is my fault for not noticing earlier. As a general rule I don't believe the Apache pom should contain alpha or beta releases.

I would say they can't. You potentially destabilize someone's environment entirely. We don't have the best track record for making sure things work, the WAR plugin is a recent case in point. If there are betas, maybe on a case by case basis. If there are actually alpha plugins in there then -1.

> If the artifacts are good enough to be included in the Apache pom then they should be good enough for a "real" release. This is especially true when these are plugins that are part of the maven project.
>
> Despite that I am +1 on this release.
>
> Ralph
>

> On Nov 24, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Brian Demers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Included in this staging repo are:
>> apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor - 1.0.3
>> Added support for projects to (optionally) create source zip and tar
>> bundles.
>> apache parent - 8
>> Consumed apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3
>> Upgraded version of the gpg plugin to 1.1
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/trunk/asf/pom.xml?r1=1037038&r2=1038247
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/trunk/asf/pom.xml?r1=944805&r2=1036989
>> maven parent - 18
>> Consumed apache parent 8
>>
>> Staging repo:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/maven_promotion-008/
>>
>> Staging site:
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z/
>>
>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>>
>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1
>> [ ] +0
>> [ ] -1

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.

 -- Unknown

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache parent 8, Maven Parent 18, apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor 1.0.3

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I'm not against any of the changes you made and it is my fault for not noticing earlier. As a general rule I don't believe the Apache pom should contain alpha or beta releases. If the artifacts are good enough to be included in the Apache pom then they should be good enough for a "real" release. This is especially true when these are plugins that are part of the maven project.