Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2019/01/08 15:53:57 UTC

Min macOS version for 4.20

One option we have is that we drop support for macOS 10.7 and older for 4.20.x... this MIGHT help.

I can/will test that assumption.

Re: Min macOS version for 4.20

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
No worries at all, and sorry if I come off heavy handed... The macOS platform is problematic, at some level, for AOO because it requires some older tech for it to compile and run. For example, vcl still uses QTkit, which has been deprecated for awhile, which means we can't fully utilize later SDKs, which don't support it, but then we also have file that require newer C++ features, which aren't available in older SDKs, so we're stuck between a rock and a hard place...

My hope, and plan, is that we get a 4.20 out asap... some of that will require reverting some gbuild changes and getting it in a universally buildable state, and branch off 4.20 from there. We can then un-revert that back to trunk.

Re: Min macOS version for 4.20

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Okay. I think I get the Idea now. I am sorry that I have tried to help
with my poor knowledge.

I will write again when I manage to explain what I mean.

Re: Min macOS version for 4.20

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
It's not really an SDK issue but a minimum target system. Even recent SDKs allow for building for 10.7, BUT (and this is the big but), some frameworks, etc are deprecated when using these newer SDKs (ie: newer Xcodes). Plus, each SDK use a different version of clang, which also factors in. And finally, you have older versions of the C++ lib to worry about (this was a major change with 10.8 -> 10.9 targets)...

So simply saying "use the latest SDK" implies a lack of understanding of the complexities in building such a complex beast for macOS platforms, esp when one considers that 4.20.x contains updated and upgraded code that breaks things as well and how each OS target version and each SDK and each version of Xcode all mangles together.

And the real issue in this regards is about our complimentary community provided builds not about building it "in general"...

> On Jan 8, 2019, at 11:38 AM, legine@posteo.de wrote:
>
> I am not sure what you mean.
> We should update to use the latest SDK.
> According to Apple it is still posible to build for 10.7  with it.
> Maybe that would be better approach?
>
> I think you have also to look into available flags since there is a lot of change in the last 10 years in compiler terms.
> See mechtildes post and my older post to build on Arch linux.
> So you might well run into different issues with the approach.
>
> Maybe also posting the issued might help. Maybe they are not that bad.
>
> I am sorry that the mac buildbot isnt ready. I could use some help there.
> If anyone has time.
> We currently need to define the brew commands in order to install all the tools we need. Then we can try to build. And the result is public. Which would make it easy for others to check on their work.
>
> Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2019 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> One option we have is that we drop support for macOS 10.7 and older for 4.20.x... this MIGHT help.
>>
>> I can/will test that assumption.
>>
>>> On Jan 8, 2019, at 9:54 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've started playing around w/ getting 4.2.0-HEAD to build; as expected, so real issues w/ Ubuntu or CentOS7 but macOS is causing problems, what with the migration to gbuild for various modules and how these migrations constantly break macOS. I'll try to start hammering fixing/working-around these, but my recommendation would be that instead of migrating to gbuild willy-nilly, we only do so on (1) modules that NEED it, due to new versions or (2) are so easy and basic that the risk that it breaks other platforms is pretty much nil.
>>>
>>> Does that make sense?

> Gesendet von meinem Sailfish-Gerät.

Re: Min macOS version for 4.20

Posted by le...@posteo.de.