Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rishabh Joshi <ri...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/16 10:27:15 UTC

Near Duplicate Documents

Hi,

I am evaluating "Solr 1.2" for my project and wanted to know if it can
return near duplicate documents (near dups) and how do i go about it? I am
not sure, but is "MoreLikeThisHandler" the implementation for near dups?

Rishabh

Re: Near Duplicate Documents

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
Eswar K wrote:
> We have a scenario, where we want to find out documents which are similar in
> content. To elaborate a little more on what we mean here, lets take an
> example.
>
> The example of this email chain in which we are interacting on, can be best
> used for illustrating the concept of near dupes (We are not getting confused
> with threads, they are two different things.). Each email in this thread is
> treated as a document by the system. A reply to the original mail also
> includes the original mail in which case it becomes a near duplicate of the
> orginal mail (depending on the percentage of similarity).  Similarly it goes
> on. The near dupes need not be limited to emails.
>
> If we want to have such capability using Solr, can we use
> MoreLikeThisHandler or is there any other appropriate handler in Solr which
> we can use? What is the best way for achieving such a functionality?

mess around with the MoreLikeThisHandler, see if it gives you what you
are looking for.

Check:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/MoreLikeThis

For your example, you would want to make sure that the 'type' field
("email") is in the mlt.fl param.  Perhaps: mlt.fl=type,content

Re: Near Duplicate Documents

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 18-Nov-07, at 8:17 AM, Eswar K wrote:

> Is there any idea implementing that feature in the up coming releases?

Not currently.  Feel free to contribute something if you find a good
solution <g>.

-Mike

Posted by Eswar K <kj...@gmail.com>.
Is there any idea implementing that feature in the up coming releases?

Regards,
Eswar

Posted by Stuart Sierra <ma...@stuartsierra.com>.

Posted by Eswar K <kj...@gmail.com>.